If we have a subtask in JIRA can we impose a restriction that the subtask cannot be created independently - creation of tasks and then subtasks usese structure plugin

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2012

There is a task which in turn can have multiple subtasks. But the subtasks cannot be created independently. For a subtask to be created the User has to first create a task or select an already defined task and then associate the subtask to it. This means subtask cannot be created independently.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2012

It seems that you need an enforcement in a structure - to make sure SBI are always created under a PBI. Structure plugin does not have this functionality yet, but this is a good feature request. I have posted it to our JIRA: https://jira.almworks.com/browse/HJ-978 - feel free to vote/watch/comment.

There's also a related feature request here: http://structure.uservoice.com/suggestions/514887

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2012

You have got it right, that's exactly what i was trying to explain. But otherwise can u suggest any idea to fix this issue because we wanted this feature at the earliest :(

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2012

At the moment, there's no way to enforce it because to add an issue to a structure at all, it has to be created first.

If you got time and resources to tap into Structure API, you can write your own mini-plugin or a remote script that would do JIRA search for SBIs, then fetch hierarchy from Structure API and locate SBIs that are not under PBIs. Then the script would notify an admin about the violations.

More on Structure API: https://wiki.almworks.com/x/oYF7

-- Igor

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2012

Thank you Igor. Adding to that would like to know if we can use any jira search plugin?Since we are not into development of plugin as of now but if its feasible then we would like to try out with the existing search plugin if any and then customize based on our needs.

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2012

Unfortunately, I don't know of any search plugins that let you do that. We have a feature request that might address this issue with searching, when it's ready: https://jira.almworks.com/browse/HJ-802

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2012

If you are planning to implement the above feature https://jira.almworks.com/browse/HJ-978 , just out of curiosity can you please let me know when will you be planning to release it

Igor Sereda [ALM Works]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2012

We cannot promise any dates, sorry. I don't think this feature will be released very soon, but we'll definitely keep it in mind when we work on more support for constraints.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2012

There is no question here.

By definition, in Jira, a sub-task lives below an issue. In the structure plugin, you can have more than one layer of subtasks.

That's about it - could you explain what you're actually asking?

Jayashree Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 12, 2012

Yes Nic what you are saying is true. But we have a requirement in our project where in we have a change request(you can call it as task) which in turn contains PBI(u can say subtask). This PBI inturn can have many SBIs(subtask again). But say if a user is trying to create an SBI possibly it could be denoted as SBI1 then we need to somehow customize jira for not allowing such type of creations. User could be accidentally trying to create this. It is just by looking at the tag "SBI" we come to a conclusion that this is subtask created without a valid parent. Creation of such subtasks should not be allowed. It can be allowed if and only if it has a parent.

I hope i clarified the requirement to some extent

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2012

I'm afraid I'm completely lost now, sorry (and there's still not exactly a question here)

You can not create a sub-task without a parent in Jira.

I'm not sure about the structure plugin, but I don't think you can do it there either, unless you are mixing up sub-task types somewhere.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events