How to move an issue to board automatically after its created

PreethamK May 13, 2020

As soon as the issue (epic / story / technical story) is created, its moved to backlog in nextgen kanban project. But I want that issue to be automatically moved to board as soon as its created. Not able to find any relevant component for this. Any suggestion?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2020

Hi @PreethamK ,

I do that same thing in various places. Below is a screenshot of my rule. But you can transition it to any status you want - doesn't have to be Done. 

Auto Transition Rule.png

PreethamK May 14, 2020

Thanks John Funk. But I can only change the status of the issue to the one of the status I have created. There is no option to move the issue from  Backlog to Kanban board

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2020

There is no Move to a "Board" - you just transition to a status that is on the board. 

What is the status that is on the Kanban board that you want to move to?

Does the card stay in the same project? Or does it move to a different project?

PreethamK May 14, 2020

Hi. I tried just changing the status (as an example from ToDo to Development in-Progress), even through board has cards with these status, the issue doesnt show up. Unless and untill the issue is not moved to "Board" using the other menu options, I dont see it appearing. Card is in the same project. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2020

So the issue gets transitioned to the new status, and the status is mapped to the board.

But the card doesn't show up on the board?

PreethamK May 14, 2020

Yes, issue gets transitioned to the new status but doesnt show up on the board

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2020

Then there is either a problem with the filter for the board or the status is not mapped to the board properly. 

Mattias Ahnberg May 20, 2020

Sadly the issue status doesn't affect if its seen in the board or not in a next gen project. You can have it in any status, from what I know, and send it to the backlog and later pull it back into the board. 

There are no "filters" to define what ends up in the board in next gen projects from what I know, but I am quite new to them. I just stumbled on this question since I have the exact same problem as PrrethamK have.

I am yet unsure what underlying mechanic tags an issue to be visible in the board, but if we can find that I am sure there is some way to flip that switch with rules!

Mattias Ahnberg May 20, 2020

I tried looking at all the JSON values of my issue when it was in the board vs when it was in the backlog, and I really can't find any differences there. Are there more places to look for similar values that I am unaware of?

https://<yourinstanceurl>/rest/api/2/issue/<issuekey>?expand=names
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2020

@PreethamK  - Any new information here?

What type of project is it? Next-gen? Classic Software?

Mattias Ahnberg May 25, 2020

@John Funk his description mentions nextgen so I hope that's the case, it is how I found this ticket since I have the same request myself!

PreethamK May 25, 2020

Its a Next-gen project

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2020

Why are you transitioning the issue to Done as soon as it is created?

PreethamK May 25, 2020

Nope. I am NOT transitioning to Done as soon as its created. My only requirement is to move the issue from backlog to board with the status set intact (as-is).

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2020

The screenshot of the rule you show above has the issue moving to Done as soon as it is created. And again, you don't move cards from board to board, you simply change the value of the Status which causes it to show up on different boards or in different columns based on how the statuses are matched to the columns of a board and based on what the filter for the board does. 

What is the first column on the board? 

PreethamK May 25, 2020

Hi John - That screenshot (which has DONE status) is not mine, I think you added it as part of your first reply. Screenshot of my board is attached. I am re-iterating, my requirement is to move from backlog to board. By default issue gets created with To Do status and is placed in the backlog. I need that issue to show up in the board in To Do status as soon as its created.08f15438-7770-40b6-8b0b-79e30095b2b7.png

Like Mattias Ahnberg likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2020

Can you share a screenshot of your actual automation rule?

PreethamK May 26, 2020

John - I want to build the automation rule as per the requirement I mentioned in the question, but since automation rule doesnt support, I havent built any rule. I want to know how I can build rule for this requirement

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2020

Build one like I built above, except transition it to "In Progress" instead of Done. 

Mattias Ahnberg June 1, 2020

John, this doesn't seem to work since a next gen project issue can be on the board or in backlog with any status set. The next gen project doesn't place issues on the board depending on status, I believe.

There has to be some other deeper way that JIRA defines board or not-board status of an issue, and that status isn't reflected even in the JSON representation of an issue, what I can see.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events