How does Story Points count?

Neta Knyazhansky Caspy June 20, 2022

Hi,

If I have SPs on both a patent issue and its sub-tasks, do they all count to the sprint?

I saw a question and answers on how to sum the sub-tasks SPs to the parent, but wouldn't that mean they'll be counted double?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 20, 2022

Do not put sprint estimates on sub-tasks.  Sub-tasks are a part of their parent issue, and hence are not sprint-able items, so you do not estimate them.

Neta Knyazhansky Caspy June 22, 2022

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Nic.

Team Leaders in my department prefer to estimate sub-tasks, and I want to allow them to work the way the see best.

I'm just wondering what will happen if both parent & sub-tasks will have story points, how will they count? Or should we choose one of them?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2022

The best way they can work is not to put estimates on non-sprint items.

You will find they are double-counted in some places, counted in some places, and totally ignored in others.

If you're estimating sub-tasks, you are not doing Scrum, and you can't really expect a Scrum tool to support non-scrum processes.

Like Neta Knyazhansky Caspy likes this
Neta Knyazhansky Caspy June 23, 2022

Thank you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events