How can I find the date that a task was transitioned to DONE?

mark hardwick June 4, 2024

I want to update all done tasks so that the due date = the done date, if the due date wasn't previously set.  I can easily write an automation that does this when existing tasks transition to done, however I can't see how to do it for existing tasks with a done status. 

Is there a variable that would capture this info?

Thanks.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2024

Hi @mark hardwick ,

Welcome to the community !!

You can make use of import issues functionalities. 

1. Write a JQL to get the list of tickets which needs the updation and save it as a filter.
    Example: project = XYZ and status = DONE and duedate IS EMPTY
  2. Export the results to csv with only required fields. 
    (i) CSV file needs to contain a column that maps to Issue Key
  3. Create the updated csv file with due dates as required. 
  4. Import issues as mentioned here

More details about import is in https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/import-data-from-a-csv-file/

mark hardwick June 7, 2024

I did not think of that. thanks so much!

Like Rilwan Ahmed likes this
1 vote
Iryna Komarnitska_SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 5, 2024

Hi @mark hardwick ,

If you want to discover when a task changed its status, try using the Status Entry Date report in the Time in Status app (developed by my team). I hope you find it useful.

2024-06-05_11-37-09.png

mark hardwick June 7, 2024

I'll check it out - thanks.

0 votes
Amay Purohit_RVS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2024

Hi @mark hardwick 

Welcome to the community !!

You can use Jira Rest API's to build your own custom solution and track transition dates for overall issue cycle. Or for a readymade solution, a mktplace app can help here. If you are open to try out one, do take a look at

Time in Status Reports 

One of the many reports which the app provides is Status Transition Dates.

The app has 20+ reports to meet a variety of time in status use cases.

More Details here 

Disclaimer : I work for the vendor who built this app

TIS - Status Transition Dates.PNG

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 7, 2024

Hi @mark hardwick

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If you prefer using a marketplace app, you can try Status Time Reports app developed by our team. It mainly provides reports and gadgets based on how much time passed in each status but you can also get a report of how many times the status of each issue is changed and when. Thus, you can get the date that a task was transitioned to DONE.

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try without installing the app.

For your case, you can have a look at Status Count And Entry Dates report. Entry date(see In Development, Ready for Testing, In Testing, In Development columns.) is status transition date and status count(see #In Development, #Ready for Testing, #In Testing, #In Development columns) is how many times an issue is entered to this status.

For further details, you can have a look at Status Time Reports How to Videos.

App Features:

• This app has a dynamic status grouping feature so that you can generate various valuable reports as time in status, time in assignee, status entry dates and status counts, cycle time and lead time, average/sum reports by any field(e.g. average in progress time by project, average cycle time by issue creation month).
  • You can search issues by Project, Issue Type, Status, Assignee, Issue Creation/Resolution Date(and any other Date field) and JQL Query.
  • Status durations are calculated according to the working calendar you define. Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days.
  • You can set different duration formats.
  • You can export reports in CSV file format and open them in MS Excel.
  • You can also add this app as a gadget to your Jira dashboards and reach “Status Time” from Issue Detail page.
  • You can enable/disable access to Status Time reports&gadgets and Issue Detail page per project, users, groups or project role.

If you are looking for a completely free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Reports Free.

If you have any questions, feel free to schedule a demo with us.

Hope it helps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events