Group Task, sub-tasks and bugs to a Story instead Tasks and bugs in Other Issues

Vinod Danguubiyyapu July 13, 2021

Hi Team,

I was searching for the answer on the Grouping Stories with its Task and bugs along with Sub-tasks in the Board, Which I see most answers are only related to Sub-Tasks. why this kind of option isn't provided in Jira, 

Can anyone help me understanding the Jira board management practice for Tasks and Sub-tasks

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2021

Jira Software has a hierarchy of Epic -> Issue (story) -> Sub-task.  Those are the only "grouping" it does in the way you describe.

Vinod Danguubiyyapu July 14, 2021

Appreciate your response, I agree to your explanation on Jira Hierarchy, but as Sub-tasks are also a issues, having Story as A issue for Epic and Tasks with its sub-tasks is not in a good view but when the issue are linked have a group on hierarchy should be a better view, instead they fall under "Other Issues", 
SPTick-1.PNG

I like to see the board, with out sub-task and only tasks and bugs under Story group, 

Is there a way to change the view, Appreciate your help

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2021

But that's the point - you can't "group by" something that isn't there.

On your board, your tasks and bugs are not under the stories, so it can't show that.

Vinod Danguubiyyapu July 14, 2021

Bugs are actually linked as related to story not as Sub-task so this grouping as Story doesn't help and view is not as expected, doesn't show as child and parent link for Issue types, only sub-tasks.

So the practice should be Every task should be as a Sub-task of Story, and bugs can be as individual task,  

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2021

To do that, rename the issue type "task" to something else so you can reuse the name and create a new issue type called "task" as a sub-task type.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events