Duplicate the content of an issue (as a comment) to the issue we link to

Catherine.dicaire November 19, 2020

Hi,

When we link an issue to another we want to copy the content of the issue and add it as a comment in the destination issue and send a notification to the responsable.

Thank you,

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2020

Hi Catherine - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I haven't tried that scenario, but it could look something like this:

screenshot.png

Be sure to test it out with a small set before implementing on a large scale. 

Thank you, I'll try this.

Hi John, 

It does input the comment, but in the trigger issue instead of the destination issue.

Loggicaly :

When Issue linked (to be copied) » For linked issue (destination) » Add comment : trigger... to the destination.

Somehow it's doing the opposit, adding the comment to the issue I don't want instead of the destination.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2020

I guess it kind of depends on which issue is adding the link. You might can control that with using a specific issue link type instead of all. 

The note on the trigger says: Rule executes when an issue is linked to another issue. {{issue}} will always refer to the source issue, so if ISSUE-A is blocked by ISSUE-B, this rule will execute on ISSUE-B. To access ISSUE-A, use {{destinationIssue}}, and to access the link type, use {{linkType}} (e.g. {{linkType}}='Duplicate').

Somehow I can't get it to work, probably just the right term or hierarchy of action.

Should I get one action that copy the description with the source been the issue that get discarded and have a second action that paste the information in the correct issue?

Thank you again,

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2020

That might be the best route to go. That way you have a better control of who is the destination versus the base. 

Switching destination and current issue was enough at the branch step.

Like John Funk likes this
0 votes

Trigger : When a issue is link

Condition : The destination issue

Action : ???

Copy the description field » Add it as a comment 

Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events