Custom fields in JIRA Create Issue Form and SD Customer Portal

Petr Benhak February 26, 2016

Hi All,

we are trying to put a custom field (namely a external link) into a Service Desk Customer Portal. 

csutomer_portal_add_field_button.PNG

customer_portal_available_fields.PNGcustom_scripted_field.PNG

Is it possible to use a custom field built with Script Runner plugin in the customer portal "create request" form?

EDIT:

We need to have a customer fill out the external form which is to complex to be put directly into JIRA form. Basically we need from the customer an exact specification of the action they require from us. It should go something like this:

1) Customer logs in to JIRA and clicks "Ńew Change Request" in the SD Customer Portal

2) Fills in basic data and clicks on "Click here to specify the change request" (in the JIRA Form)

3) New Window pops up with an external URL where the request could be fully specified

4) When the external form is completed, customer puts some form of feedback back into the JIRA form. Might it be ID or upload generated change file. Would be nice to find a way to store it automatically but I guess it could be done using webhooks only AFTER the request is submitted and issue created sad Other option would be to open a specific URL for an external form like: example.com/JIRA/issue-75 but again I cannot reference an issue that is yet to be created. Maybe a random UID would suffice if stored in JIRA issue.

5) Customer submits the JIRA Form

Maybe this is not ideal way to achieve what we need but so far I have not been able to come up with anything better. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Petr.

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2016

Scripted fields are read only, so there's no chance of them appearing on the portal - when you're creating a new issue there, they simply don't have any data because you have not yet created the issue that they are going to be calculating data against.

Points 2, 3 and 4 might be possible with scripting and clever code, but they're the sort of complexity and messing with the internals of JIRA that I'd strongly recommend writing them as your own add-on.

In fact, I'd question the "Form is too complex for JIRA" - first, are you really sure that it is?  There's a good chance you could do it fine in JIRA (probably with the help of custom-field addons and script-runner). 

Or if it really is too fussy and you definitely need to set up your non-JIRA system, a far better approach would be to send the users there to do all the form filling, and at the end of it have a simple REST call to JIRA to create an issue with all the data you want to duplicate from the form (including a link back to the system holding the data being automatically created)

Petr Benhak February 27, 2016

Thanks for the reply, I agree that the best option would be to have the form in JIRA.
But as long as scripted fields could not be displayed on the portal I don't see how it could be managed.

The form could be simplified like this:

request_form_template.png

Customer adds multiple entries into a list. May be some sort of grid would be sufficient but harder to validate.
My problem is that at this point I cannot even add a link onto the customer portal request form as the scripted field would not work.

Your last point is very appealing but we would like the customer to access the customer portal to issue request.

Thank, Petr.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2016

I'm not sure why you think scripted fields might help you here.

For the "select entry type", you can just use a multiple select field - you can choose many entries for one of those (and, it doesn't need lots of empty boxes)

Petr Benhak February 27, 2016

I think you misunderstood how the form is supposed to work. Here is the use case:

1) Customer selects request type in the select field (just one)

2) Specific set of fields is shown based upon the selection

3) Customer fills out the fields and clicks "Add Next"

4) Data are validated and appended to the list above

5) Customer repeats the whole process until as many records as needed is shown in the list

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2016

No, I understood that, I just wasn't clear enough that JIRA does not quite support that. 

A multi-select field will enable you to gather the same data, but not with quite the same UI.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 29, 2016

You can use behaviours to write some html under the summary, (setDescription()), or something, which could be the link to the external form. 

Validating that it's filled in is a bit trickier, but you could do it in a workflow validator.

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2016

What are you trying to do with this field? What is the use-case?

Petr Benhak February 26, 2016

question updated

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2016

Most custom fields are not allowed in JIRA Service Desk. Furthermore Script Fields do not appear on Create/Edit/Transition Screens by default.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events