Custom field auto populate based on the value in another custom field

Mary Kelly July 7, 2017

How to auto populate the team member's department based on their user name.

I have 5 departments each having 20 - 50 people in them.  When they are the the reporter or assignee, I have a custom field that calls for their department.

I would like the department custom fields to auto populate based on those 5 lists.

Additionally, there is a lot of movement in the lists.

What would be the best way to do this?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2017

The easiest would probably to create these 5 departments as JIRA Groups, so that you can benefit from JIRA's group management interface to maintain them.

Then you could use a Set Field Value to Constant or Groovy Expression post-function from JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions (JMWE) to look up the reporter or assignee against these 5 groups (with a simple script) and set the custom field value accordingly.

If you want the department custom fields to adjust dynamically on existing issues when a user moves from one department to another, then you'd be better off using a Calculated Text Field from JIRA Misc Custom Fields (JMCF) and, again, a simple script to look up the department using the groups.

Mary Kelly July 7, 2017

Thank you David.  This is very helpful.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events