Create automation to clone epic and all related issues

Antonio Rivera February 1, 2022

In a nutshell, I'm looking to create a template so team members can use a standardize structure to manage our software projects. That way we ensure all tasks are completed throughout the project phases without oopsie daisies. 

Basically the structures starts with a new issue type called initiatives which is set above epics, stories and then tasks. I intend to use initiatives as projects, where epics are the project phases the team goes through when working the project. Lastly, stories are the tasks for each phase. Please refer below for a visual representation of the structure. 

IMG_6013.jpg

While the Configuring initiatives and other hierarchy levels documentation, states that initiatives level is only available for premium plans, I'm trying to include epics as related issues to initiatives in order to classify and follow the structure aforementioned. 

I was able to create an automation that clones the initiative issue but can't for the life of me make it to clone the related epics along with its stories within. Please find screenshots below with the automation configuration: 

Screen Shot 2022-02-01 at 11.26.11.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-01 at 11.26.20.pngScreen Shot 2022-02-01 at 11.26.26.png

What am I doing wrong in the automation rule? 

Related Info:

Environment: Jira Cloud

Plan: Standard

Project: Company Managed

Issue Type Scheme: Custom with levels Initiative > Epic > Story > Tasks > Sub-tasks

2 answers

0 votes
Annica Andersson May 29, 2023

Firstly I can not find the link between Initiative and Epic called “child Issues” in the selection field, is there an improvement to include this in the Automation?

Than to make your case work out you would need to make a branch on a branch, which don’t seem to be possible. I Can see the case when I clone an EPIC and what to clone not only stories but also the subtasks of the stories.

Maybe Deep cloan is our only way out of this issue :-)

0 votes
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 2, 2022

Hi @Antonio Rivera,

I am Marlene from codefortynine.

If you are open to try a Marketplace app, you can try Deep Clone for Jira.

With our app it is possible to clone entire issue trees and keep their hierarchy.

If you have questions about our app, let us know.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events