Create an epic in Automation for Jira Server and add an epic link to it to the trigger issue

Pim Janissen January 29, 2021

Hi,

In my Jira server setup, I have created a manually triggered rule, which creates an epic from a specific issue. It copies some fields s.a. summary, description etc...

What I want, is that the trigger issue is added as an Epic Child to the newly created Epic. I haven't been able to find a way to do it, since I can't think of a way to link to the newly created epic from the triggerissue.

I have thought of using branches, since it will put me in the perspective of the newly created Epic. But in that branch I can't think of a way to change any fields of the trigger issue. So that's no help.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Gareth Cantrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 29, 2021

Hi @Pim Janissen 

You're almost there! The Create issue action populates a new smart value called {{createdIssue}} which you can use in further rule actions.

The following screenshot shows how to link the newly created Epic to the trigger issue.

Screenshot 2021-01-29 at 11.51.00.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events