Copy custom field value from parent issue to child issue (where child issue is not a sub-task)

Natasha Denny February 24, 2019

I'm trying to copy a custom field value from an issues parent. 

Our current hierarchy is:

• Initiative (parent)
    • Task (child)

Scenario is: when a child Task is created, copy the value from custom field 'stream' from parent Initiative into custom field 'stream' in child Task

Can anyone help with the jira automation rule for this? 

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Scott Harwood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2019

Hi Natasha,

Yes, unfortunately for the moment you cannot copy a value from a portfolio parent. We have an open issue to add support for this:

https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-389

There is a workaround for "acting" on the parent, but unfortunately not copying a value from it. 

I have linked this article to the ticket so we will notify you when we ship a fix.

Thanks,

Scott.

2 votes
Pete Singleton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 20, 2020

Did you find any way to do this?  I have the same requirement, to "cascade" a field value down from Portfolio Parent.  It was essentially why we purchased Automation for Jira, didn't realise it couldn't be done!

1 vote
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 25, 2019

I think you can get this done even without an automation rule. 

Simply create a custom workflow for the subtask type you want and configure a postfunction for the "create" transition where that custom field value is copied from the parent issue.

I hope it helps.

Natasha Denny February 25, 2019

Does this work for a non-sub-task?

Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2019

Well... in this particular case, for a non-subtask there's no parent issue to copy the custom field value from. But in a more general sense, yes, using postfunctions you can automate a lot of things.

Natasha Denny February 25, 2019

We are using Jira Portfolio and have created the hierarchy:

1. Parent - Initiative
  2. Child - Task
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2019

I thougt you were working with "normal" Jira. I haven't worked with Jira Portfolio yet so I'm not familiar with the concept of "Iniciative" but I would assume every Atlassian product is similarly designed. I won't state anything as a fact without actually knowing, though.

I'd advise you to just try what I told you, if that makes sense, and tackle it from there i it doesn't work. Since I don't know the platform, I don't know if the concept of workflow or transition makes even sense for Jira Portfolio.

Best of luck. I'm afraid I can't help you further with this if this doesn't work.

Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 25, 2019

I've added the "portfolio-for-jira" tag to the topic ;)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events