Confluence tabs with the composition plugin...

Stephen June 18, 2015

Hi,

Can somone explain to me why, after upgrading to Confluence 5.5.7 (and paying 6000$) I have now to pay for an upgrade of this plugin that was free before? I have this plugin since version 3.5.17 of Confluence so a lot of content is linked to it. The price is incredible, 1200$ for 408 users!!! Now I'm stuck as most of my contents use the composition macro. I'm in 5.5.7 with a lot of content to review. Does that mean that we should avoid every "content" plugin as one day maybe it will become payable!!!

I'm totally surprised and disapointed by this as I'm fighting to promote Confluence within my company and now I have to find something to tell people that there content will be reviewed... My opponant will be very happy of that.. Hope that someone could help me there as I don't want to use google solutions instead of Confluence.

Regards...

9 answers

2 votes
Jesse Miller June 25, 2015

Hi Stephen, 

Please see the reply from our CEO, Rob Castaneda where you originally posted in our Community: https://community.servicerocket.com/servicerocket/topics/license-problem-with-confluence-5-5-7

0 votes
Stephen June 25, 2015

It is amazing to have to do a work like this whereas my plugin was free. You cannot let people write contents and then make them PAY. What kind of strategy it is?

My anger continues to grow more and more as I don't get any answers

0 votes
Stephen June 25, 2015

They force people to pay, it is incredible to let them do that!!

0 votes
Stephen June 25, 2015

and I will add, even if nobody cares, because plugins providers do their law, you discourage people to do a Confluence upgrade. In my case for example, I have 2k pages to review. I hate the plugin provider so I don't want to give them money. It will take a lot of work for me to update the pages by removing these stupid tabs but at least, what I've gained is that I won't do any Confluence upgrade anymore in the future. I'll go for another solution. So the plugin vendor won't get anything and Atlassian will loose a customer. Everybody will loose something. Great deal!

0 votes
Stephen June 23, 2015

With your money strategy google will win everything. My company is currently paying for a google solution that includes everything: mail, drive, spreadsheet, etc... Their wiki is not ready and I prefered Confluence as it was a smart product. It was until its assiociation with the plugin vendors that are selling small functionnalities for incredible prices! 1200$ to be able to build tabs.. Woow what a price.

I'm so disapointed it is like being betraded. I support this solution and then back everybody wants to do money on our back. Google is laugthing too as they already know that they are winning new business.

0 votes
Stephen June 22, 2015
Hi,

I'm really angry and disapointed. It has continued with this plugin Bob something to do SQL. Was free... And now I have to pay 500$ to continue to use it. WHAT A JOKE!!!!!! We pay 6000$ to update Confluence but all the standard and trivial functionnalities like tabs, SQL statements are not provided as a standard!!! Now what, do I have to pay more than Confluence itself to continue to use all these stupid plugin from these stupid compagnies??? I have to redo most of my page it's a real nightmare. Instead of gaining functionnalities with the upgrade, I'M LOOSING FUNCTIONNALITIES!!!!!

And you know what is really sad? It is the fact that my company is switching to google solutions and confluence and JIRA were the only two solutions remaining. I had to fight to get a licence renewal because I believED in this solution. And now what? It will consumme weeks so that I can replace these stupid plugins by free plugins (for the moment) and reformat everything.

For sure I won't continue to upgrade Confluence as I don't want to get the same issues in the future, I'm scared by this solution that is a nightmare again with plugins I used as free that would turn to a paying solution. Really it is a big joke.

My understanding is that there should be agreements between plugins vendor and Atlassian so that Atlassian doesn't develop basic functionnalities like tabs or SQL statement but they get sort of royalties from these vendors to do so. If it is the case then it is a very good and clever business for both counterparties.

When google will have a wiki solution we will skip to it as I don't want to take risk anymore (and be treated like a fool). I don't want google but well, I have no choices it's Atlassian and is plugin vendor that lead me to this.

Really I'm sad as I've used this solution for years now but my management look at me like "so what, do we have to continue to pay for that?".

I'm sad that Atlassian don't care anymore about their customers, time has changed, profit has won over quality and being customer focus...

Regards,

0 votes
Andre Lehmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2015

I think you misunderstood me smile

Atlassian doesn't know which Plugins do you use. Your 6000$ was for the pure Confluence-Upgrade.
To update the Composition-Plugin you have to pay the price to ServiceRocket.

I wouldn't recommend to abandon Confluence, but maybe rethink the usage of ServiceRocket-Plugins.
If I could deceide whether we continue to use those Plugins or not it would be easy to de-install them. But on the other side I know, that if I deinstall them, many many pages will loose their content.

You are right: Confluence itself should be able to create tabs. But currently the only posibility to fit your needs is the ServiceRocket Plugin.

0 votes
Stephen June 18, 2015

Hi,

ok so does that mean that I have to abandon Confluence to a safer solution? As now I have to review all my pages with a new plugin, it asks me a lot of work. Maybe other plugins vendor will do the same and then my only choice will be to abandon Confluence for another solution.

I'm really surprised and disappointed by Atlassian. What I understand in your answer is :  "ok guy, we don't care it is your problem as long as you've paid the full confluence license". Do I have to understand it like this? Do you understand the amount of work it is for my company, after having paid 6000$ for an upgrade? Why Confluence does not provide a standard solution for tabs??? Why?

It's like I would by a car that would embedd a free GPS and after 1 year the GPS would tell me, hey, it's not free anymore, you have to pay 10000$ to continue to us it...

Regards,

0 votes
Andre Lehmann
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2015

Hi Stephen,

keep in mind that the Composition-Plugin comes from ServiceRocket. It was their decision to make that a payable plugin.

(we had the same when we upgrade our ServiceRocket Plugins, but we had Reporting, Scaffolding and Composition)

Kind regards
André

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events