Collector - Insight Discovery

matteo_lorenzon July 23, 2019

I found out about the collector tool in the documentation, but i can't really get how it works. What does it do? What are the advantages? Why should i use it rather than connecting various Discovery Tools to Insight? How do i deploy it?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian_Solle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2019

You only need to use it in some really special situations.

If you have networks that are restricted to communication directions,

then you can use the collector service as a middle point to collect and dispatch result data.

And you are right if your network allows it you can place multiple discovery instances that directly copy the result data to the server that is running Insight.

// Christian

matteo_lorenzon July 23, 2019

Thank you for the response!

Also, does the collector merge all the data from the different discovery instances or does it just send the different files gathered?

Christian_Solle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2019

It is repacking the data.

the result xml files of each scan will be packed to one zip

you can call it merging if you like :D

// Christian

Stiliyan Savov November 30, 2021

Hello @Christian_Solle . I read the documentation and I have tried several times to make that collector working but it doesnt repack the data.. it only transfers the zip files from the input directory to the output directory without merging them. Are there any conditions for that action? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events