Change links in Slack notifications

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2020

One of my users asked if it is possible to change the Confluence link in notifications that have already been sent to Slack. The question came up due to a space migration and because existing Slack notifications refer to the old space, in order for the redirect to work, users must have view access to the old space. Have anyone else come across this and what did you do to solve it?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2020

Hey @Mikael Sandberg !

The space keys in Confluence Cloud are immutable - even if you rename the space, the key (and the URL) should remain the same. Are you looking at something like a Server to Cloud migration or some other method of exporting/importing the space to rename the key?

The Confluence Cloud for Slack plugin won't go and edit messages that have already been posted in Slack. My advice for the scenario you described would be to make sure that the user has access to the space for a redirect to work. Knowing what method was used for a space rename would be helpful to understand what's happening though.

If the case is that pages were moved from one space to another, and then the original space had restrictions added to it, I would say that the restrictions will cause the redirects to fail. This would be akin to reusing the space key on Server when using an unsupported method for changing space keys, which we strongly recommend avoiding.

Hope that helps clear things up slightly!

Daniel

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2020

I suspected that the posted URLs in Slack could not be edited, but promised the user that asked the question to check. The team was doing a clean up and moved pages/blog posts that was still valid over to a new space (using the move option in Confluence Cloud), but they wanted to lock the old space down so only a sub set of users could still access it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events