Can I use automateion to sum story point estimate field values from subtask to parent?

Thomas Sacco May 10, 2021

Just like summing story points to a parent I want to do the same thing with story point estimates.  for example if I have 3 subtasks for a story, each with story point estimate = 5. Then I want the parent story point estimate to show the sum of15.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 31, 2021

@Thomas Sacco:

Check out this video tutorial on how to sum up subtask story points to a story: https://youtu.be/60sWD66l19k

You may have to use a separate customfield for the story points estimate if you don't have one already.  

Cheers

Thomas Sacco August 2, 2021

Thanks Fabian, the video shows how to sum up story points, not story point estimates.  

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2021

@Thomas Sacco 

If you are in Cloud, you can use the original estimate custom field. You can modify the smart values to be {{lookupIssues.original estimate.sum}} instead of {{lookupIssues.Story Points.sum}}.

Cheers.

Thomas Sacco August 2, 2021

thank you Fabian I will give that a try

Sari Kachorovsky May 17, 2023

@Fabian Lim  Hi Fabian , I'm trying to work according to your instruction in the video but with a different fields, I don't want to run over the Story Point field in the Story issue type. I want to sum up the field in subtask named "Story point estimate" into field "Estimated Story points" field in Story. My automation looks like this, the rule pass and the log said that Story field update successfully but actually the field in Story doesn't update and remains None. I'll be glad to get some advise here. Thanks in advanced. Sari
image.png

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2021

You can look into ScriptRunner, which can easily do this. The downside of things is that you will need to know how to write the script that will do it.

Thomas Sacco May 12, 2021

Im not familiar with scriptrunner yet.  Is there any guidance online?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events