Can I create Test steps for custom Generic Test types?

Avimanyu Chakraborty July 5, 2018

Hi,

As mentioned in this link, https://confluence.xpand-addons.com/display/XRAY/Test#Test-TestTypes, I am aware that I can create restricted custom Test Type in Xray.

But, is it possible to configure test steps (similar to Manual test type) for an Automated[Generic] Test Type?

I have a situation where my automation framework generates test steps for test cases. In summary, my requirement is:

1. A test type, other than Manual Test type (may be a custom one)

2. The new test type should support inclusion of test steps.

Thanks and Regards,

Avi.

3 answers

0 votes
Jonnlemon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 21, 2024

Hello there,

Will this be implemented?

Thank you

Jonn

0 votes
Petar Petrov November 5, 2021

Same question here as the previous post. 

Jannie Basson June 2, 2023

Hi team, so it's 2023. 

This is still a problem, where you cannot have test steps for Generic tests. 

Is there any other way of doing this?

My xunit xml report is fine, it contains even labels and requirements, but it's missing the test steps.

How do others automate their tests and using a reporting and test repository tool like Xray? 

Or is there another plugin for JIRA that we should rather use? 

0 votes
José Domingues [Xray]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 11, 2018

Hi Avimanyu,

Unfortunately, currently Xray Generic Tests are unstructured test cases.

Xray for Jira Server does not provide the ability to create fully customized Test Types (Xray for Jira Cloud, our brand new product, already supports it).

We aim to add this capability in the future to Xray for Jira Server.

Meanwhile, if you wish to have steps, then you have to use Manual Tests and use some other field or a label as means to distinguish the kind of Test.

Best regards,

Xray Team

Julia Alonso January 10, 2020

Good morning,

I need to create steps to Generic Test Cases in X-Ray, just in case the automation fails and I need to execute the TC manually. 

I've seen that you replied to Avimanyu Chakraborty that it's not possible and it's a current limitation of the tool. The question was raised in 2018.

Would you mind to indicate if this capability has been considered to be included on future versions of the tool, please?

Thank you in advance. 

Best Regards

Julia Alonso

PR August 7, 2020

Hi,

I also have a need here to retain the manual test steps for 'Generic' test types. not so much for failed runs, but for a singular reference test case to exist that will be 'auto referred to' in import execution results and that not create duplicates in the Xray Test Repository.

Please let me know if there is a plan to support this on future releases.

Thanks,

Priya

Michal Chmielewski October 20, 2021

Hi,

I am also facing the following issues:

1. In the Generic test type there is a "Definition" field that can be used to map the execution results with existing tests using an execution report for example, and the test status for existing test gets updated with no problems.

On the other hand, there is no "Definition" field for Automated/Manual tests. The test are not mapped by the summary (as specified in the documentation), and multiple tests with the same summary are being created. Is there a way to work around this?

2. I am also looking for a way to import test steps for Generic test types, please let us know if this feature has been considered.

Thank you,

Michael

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events