Can I automate moving an issue & its subtasks to another project.

Haris Vugdalic September 19, 2017

Currently moving issues from one project to another is rather cumbersome and time consuming. On an average of almost 5 minutes and 10 screens to move one item or multiple items into another project. We frequently move items from one project into another after product planning is complete and the issues are ready to be worked in the development project.

I don't see an 'action' to move in JIRA automation (i see the move trigger) and was wondering if this was even possible. Ideally I'd like the ability to forgo all of the validation screens that trigger during a move, since they are always the same, to improve and speed up this process.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2017

Hey Harris,

Unfortunately those validation screens are there to ensure that the issue can be moved correctly and map values if needed because moving an issue in Jira is actually one of the most complicated things to do under the hood (Except bulk move). It is the reason they don't expose this functionality via REST - it simply too complicated.

As such, we have no way of doing it either in cloud and even in server it would be hard to capture enough information to make this possible.

Sorry that we can't support this use case right now.

We do see a lot of other customers simply cloning the issue or creating a new one in the another project and then linking them.

This is usually "good enough" for a lot of use-cases.

Cheers,

Nick

Haris Vugdalic September 20, 2017

Thanks for your prompt feedback Nick. I assumed this was the case just needed validation.

Sincerely,

Haris V.

Jodi Gornick October 24, 2018

Hello Nick,

I was wondering if this ability to move between projects as been added at all? I see that it can be done with other plugins like JJUPIN, I really would like to not have to buy another plugin for this if we could do it with Automation for Jira.

Thanks!

Jodi

Nick Menere
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2018

Unfortunately not.

The Cloud Rest position is still the same without an end-point and Server is still complicated.

Other add-ons do allow for this, but they usually do things unsafely and can leave your issue in a bad state. We try to prevent this when ever possible.

If it projects use the same field config, workflows and custom field contexts it is safe to update the project but otherwise, you need to a fairly complicated mapping.

We could identify the most basic case and support that but we haven't gotten to this yet.

Cheers,

Nick

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events