Bigpicture: How to change the root main end date?

Tim February 11, 2021

I am using the BigPicture plugin and I want to change the root main end date.

When I do that it gives the following error:

Validation Error

Home period cannot be updated, as it is a root in a Box hierarchy

How can I change the end date since the date is now in the past. 

Is there a way to reset everything in BigPicture because I have only played around with it a few months ago so a clean start would also help me. 

4 answers

0 votes
Vinay Raju October 4, 2022

Is there a way to have various Home pages within BigPicture? For example in the top dropdown that shows "Root - Home" and all the portfolios within it, can we have add another "Root - Home" option?

Vinay Raju October 4, 2022
0 votes
Michal H. April 28, 2022

Hi, I want to delete new root in BigGantt add-on in Jira.. Is that possible? or link this root with one project in the list of my projects..

Thx for any advice

Mike

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 28, 2022

Hi @Michal H.

Welcome to the Community!

I recommend you check out this article; you can find all information on how to add, edit, and delete Boxes using the Overview module, including adding new Boxes under the Home (root) Box. 

Could you be so kind as to explain in more detail what you mean by linking this root with one project from the list?
0 votes
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 15, 2021

Hello @Tim

Indeed there is no re-sync option available on the Scope module. However, please be informed that the re-sync made from the Gantt module level updates all BigPicture system (Scope module included).

Tim February 15, 2021

I do have another question though. 

Given I have an epic 'x' with 2 user stories A & B

User story A is in version 1.0 and user story B is in version 1.1

When I build the tree like version > epic > story it shows like this

Version 1.0

- Epic x

-- Story A

Version 1.1

- Story B

It should be 

Version 1.0

- Epic x

-- Story A

Version 1.1

- Epic x

-- Story B

It does not repeat the epic if the epic contains multiple stories each in different versions. 

Is this known/expected behaviour to not handle multiple versions? 

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
February 15, 2021

Hi @Tim

Yes, it’s expected plugin behavior. To avoid data duplication, it is not possible to display the issue under two parents/versions. The Gantt chart is intended to display a coherent structure (WBS), and a double displaying would disturb the hierarchy.

However, we do understand the need for visualization of uncommon situations like the one you described. Therefore we plan to introduce new functionality in the future, allowing you to multi-displaying the same task in different groups via the “Group tasks” option. This solution is a compromise that will affect only the temporary structure created during grouping but will not disturb the regular Work Breakdown Structure.

You can follow the functionality development works in the feature request ticket ONE-22245. Please note that it is best to open it in the incognito tab of your browser.

0 votes
Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
February 12, 2021

Hello @Tim  

The Root/Home Start & End Date is set up automatically, and it’s adjusted to periods of other Boxes in the hierarchy. Manual edit is not possible because Root/Home shall adjust to its children. Could you please write me what the latest end date of descendants is? If it is in the past, then Home will stay in the past.

image (73).png

However, in the coming release BigPicture 8.1, we are going to introduce new period modes and automation that will facilitate project planning.
Please have a look at the planned features. Please note that it is best to open it in the incognito tab of your browser.

If you want to start using our plugin afresh, here is how to make sure that there will be no old data interference after reinstall. Simply follow this procedure. 

Best,
Anna

Tim February 12, 2021

Thank you, I managed to clear it up. 

I noticed however that changes in Jira are not always synced to BigPicture. 

In previous versions there was a sync button available. Is there a way to resync all data? 

I tried changing the filter on the scope section, changing task structure etc.. but without succes.

Suddenly there was a sync but I don't know what I did exactly to trigger the sync. 

Anna-BigPicture
Marketplace Partner
February 14, 2021

Hello @Tim

The re-sync button is available on the Gantt chart. See my image as a reference. 
image (74).png

When changes that you made in Task Structure are not reflected on Gantt, you can reset WBS. To assure that you always achieve the same hierarchy, start building it from scratch. You can reset the hierarchy when all the structure builders are deactivated. The "Reset" toggle button will appear next to the "Save" button in the top-right corner.

image (75).png

Please let me know if you have further questions. 

Tim February 15, 2021

Thank you. I work in "scope" view mostly and there in the "data" menu is no re-sync option as in the gantt modus. 

But I found it so thank you for that and for the fast support. 

Like Anna-BigPicture likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events