Automation without a specific trigger

yarivb November 10, 2020

Hello,

I want to run an automation on my project that changes a value of a field.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a relevant trigger to do that, because there is no such trigger.

Any idea how to do that?

We are using Jira cloud.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2020

Hi @yarivb

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Do I get it right, that you want to do some change on all the issues in the project?

Would you please provide me more information?

• Which field do you need to change?
  • When exactly do you need to do it?
  • Is it a one time action or do you need to do it repeatedly?

Please describe me more your situation. Thank you!

yarivb November 10, 2020

Thanks for your reply.

I guess that the answer is as follows:

• Which field do you need to change

More than one field. We have recently restructure our workflow and there are some things we need to adjust.

• When exactly do you need to do it?

There is a mandatory customer field I created with default value = none. I want to be able to say that in case an issue is created for an issuetype-Support Ticket the default value for this field would become "Production Support". I want it to be done automatically without a need for a person to do that when they open a ticket

• Is it a one time action or do you need to do it repeatedly?

Could be both, but now I am referring to one time, I guess

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2020

Thank you.

Please look at the bulk change functionality. You should be able to do some fixes on already created issues using it.

Is the issue with type Support Ticket created via Service Desk? If so, you can add this field to the appropriate request type, hide it and set the value to "Production Support". Then the issues with this request type will be created with this default value.

The other option is to change the value after the issue is created. You can create the automation rule like this:

• WHEN: Issue created
  • IF: Issue Type equals Support Ticket
  • THEN: Edit issue fields: your field = Production Support

Please let me know, if any of these options are applicable in your case.

Like Peter Bengov likes this
Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2020

@Hana Kučerová 's suggestion is a good one. Furthermore, you can just create a post-function too on the create transition. Specifically using "Update Issue Custom Field" post function. 

yarivb November 11, 2020

Thanks, guys.

The issues are opened by the Support Team (manually). 

I already created the automation Hana suggested, but apparently it works for me only *after* the issue is created.

This means that the support person needs to manually check the "Production Support" button when opening a ticket. This is actually what I was trying to avoid. I was hoping to find a way that when you press the "Create" button and choose "Support Ticket" there will be no need to update the field.

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2020

Hi @yarivb

yes, in the case of automation rule, the issue would be modified after create.

There are a few possibilities how to do, what you need (~ dynamic forms), for server using applications like ScriptRunner or Dynamic Forms. As far as I know, in cloud these two are not available with this functionality. It seems to me, that ProForma (there is also a lite version) could do it, but still I believe you would need some application for it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events