where are the default SPRINT names being generated ? Next Gen project.

TJ Marbois January 24, 2020

Im getting a default sprint name thats obviously being generated from some wrong variable.  Where is this setting and how do we change it ? 

3 answers

2 votes
bradygt October 27, 2022

The sprint names in my project are not coming from the board name or the most recent sprint. It's the same thing every time before I rename it and I think it's either based on a very old sprint or old board name. 

It's only a minor annoyance to rename it every sprint, but is there any way to fix that?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2022

Hi @bradygt 

I tested this again in a Team-managed Project (previously called Next Gen), and this is what happened for me...

• The sprint used the Project name by default

Then, I edited the sprint name (leaving the number at the end) - and created another sprint...

• The new sprint matched the name of the previous sprint I edited - with the number continuing to count up (2 > 3)

Then, I edited that new sprint's name, and removed the number off the end - and created another sprint...

• The new sprint still had the updated name - but restarted the count (NULL > 2)

So from what I can tell, it takes the last sprint's name and uses that!

Ste

Like Benjamin Hoppen likes this
Ed Sanchez June 20, 2023

This is definitely not the way it's working for us. Is there a way to configure this? It is really an annoyance as stated before, but would be nice not having to edit every sprint and have to move it down. 

Our project is called "A Basic Project" and we've been using the nomenclature "ABC YY.MM.DD" for when the sprint ends, so current sprint is "ABC 23.07.18" and so on. 

Every time I hit the create sprint button, the new sprint gets created without any prompts and its called "October Sprint 2".

Has anyone found a solution to this?

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2020

Hi @TJ Marbois

Sprint Names are auto-generated and the logic can be found in this KB article here.

In effect, the sprint name will be based on the board name unless it is specified. Then one of two things happens when adding a new sprint:

1. The sprint ends in a number and the next sprint will count up one digit. So if the name is "Test Sprint 1", the next one will be "Test Sprint 2". Be advised this also happens with dates so if current sprint is "Sprint 20/01/2020" the next will be "Sprint 20/01/2021", counting up one digit to 2021.
  2. The sprint has a name ending in a text character and the next sprint will add a numeric digit - eg. "Test Sprint" and the next one will be "Test Sprint 2".

^ The sprint creation logic looks to the most distant sprint - so if you have one current sprint and two future ones, the second future one will govern the sprint naming.

To edit the sprint's name, go to your board and press the 3-dots icon next to a Sprint, then Edit Sprint.

Ste

0 votes
Veera
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2020

@TJ Marbois 

You are right the sprints name are created automatically based on the board name or most recent sprint name used on the board. But, if not configurable.

You can change the sprint name by clicking on ... > Edit sprint. From next time when you create a new sprint, it'll use the new name & sequence format.

Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 11.40.20 am.png

Suggest an answer