"In Review" tasks in backlog are hidden from view when there is no "Done" column

ben_weir March 30, 2020

Hi all,

I have a somewhat strange and convoluted problem that I've been experiencing and have been unable to find anything online to help.

My Jira board has three columns - To Do, In Progress and In Review. When things are marked as Done they disappear from the board to avoid cluttering. So in other words, items with Done status are not assigned to a column. This is working as expected.

However, I've now noticed that when I end a sprint, tasks that were In Review are now disappearing from the backlog or indeed any sprint.

I can make them "reappear" by going into Board settings and adding in a new column, and putting the Done status in this column. This is OK for sprint planning as I can temporarily add a Done column and remove it later, but it is easy to forget about this during the sprint and tasks tend to get lost.

Here are some screenshots explaining this problem (proprietary terminology blanked out to protect the innocent).

When the column view is arranged like this:

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 8.45.06 am.png

My backlog view only shows a subset of cards (those that aren't In Review) like this:

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 4.54.48 pm.png

However when I have a fourth column with the Done status in it, like this:

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 8.44.43 am.png

Then the backlog/sprints show all of the cards, including those In Review:

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 4.54.23 pm.png

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. This strange issue causes tasks to drop off our radar so to speak and get lost.

Thanks,

Ben

Edit: updated screenshots as I previously used the wrong ones.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hazwan Ariffin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2020

So when you end a sprint, all in review issues disappear from the board, right. Since in review status is placed at the right most column, this is expected. 

When completing a sprint, issues at the right most column is considered as completed, despite the status of the issues, and it wouldn't appear on the board. You can confirm this by checking the sprint report

This is explained on this KB - https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-does-jira-agile-decide-when-an-issue-is-complete-for-reporting-purposes-779158578.html

ben_weir April 19, 2020

Thanks, this explains the behaviour I'm seeing. I will have to work around this.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events