looking for help in writing jql query for reports

robert_tarver June 24, 2021

I am trying to develop reports for my summer internship and struggling to write the complete query.   I can begin the query  with the proper   field operator value.   Its the second part I can not get to...I would hope to hear from someone so i can share the information/reports I need to build in jql.   any help would be great

thank you for your time.

Bob Tarver

1 answer

3 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2021

Hi @robert_tarver 

When asking for help with JQL, please consider the following so the community has some context to offer suggestions:

• What problem are you trying to solve?
  • How often do you need to solve this problem?  This can influence the tools people may suggest.
  • What have you tried thus far?  If you have a query, please provide it.
  • What is not working as you expect?  What do you observe?

Best regards,

Bill

Robert Tarver June 24, 2021

I am trying to create reports.  I need to search the kanban board my team is using.

the first part of the query  I  type     project = iam-transition-identyiq   then trying to finish the second part..

The reports I am trying complete:

1) stories and tasks categorized by age           id long pending task and overdue items

2)work distribution by tasks across teams       in progress vs not started

3) user workload  report

4) current and future releases                      which stories fall under them

5) Issues without a release

6) Number of defects                                    status and how severe

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2021

Thanks for that information, Robert.  I can see that each one of these report ideas could lead to a conversation, uncovering more details.  For example and looking at (1):

What do you mean, "categorized by age"?  What is age: time since created, since work started, etc.?  What is "long pending" and how long is "overdue"?

I suggest pairing with someone on your team to understand these requests, and try to build them one at a time.  That will help you learn JQL and confirm you are reporting what you need.  To help you get started, please look at these documentation pages which include many examples:

After you have created some queries for your requests, and if you get stuck on a specific one, please post the query and what you believe is not working.  Then the community can provide focused suggestions.

Best regards,

Bill

Like # people like this
Gowtam Kamath June 25, 2021

@Bill Sheboy wish I had a mentor like you during my early days :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events