It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

'e' keyboard shortcut to edit issue not working on backlog view in newest Jira cloud version(s)

The 'e' keyboard shortcut is no longer working on my backlog view. Since the sidebar does not allow me to update epics or the original/remaining estimates individually, this is requiring me to first open the ticket in a new tab and then edit. 

Is this a bug in the new version or did they remove this shortcut from the backlog view?

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted

Hi Leo,

The "E" shortcut seems not be working due to the *New Jira issue view* is enabled in your instance.

For the New Jira issue view, this shortcut is no longer being used and this is a expected behaviour since the issue is shown directly on the screen and you are able to edit it.

Currently, you can disable the *New Jira issue view* and the "E" will be back to work.

Also, you can find more information about this feature in the following documentation:

As the OP wrote: The issue as shown on the screen does not allow to edit the same fields as the edit mode. Together with fields having different labels depending on the view this is the most annoying/confusing thing you built into your tool.

Generally: why for the love of god would you remove a shortcut functionality (that you still list in your documentation). PLEASE BRING IT BACK!

Like # people like this

this is really really annoying, please bring it back! the more you can do via keyboard navigation in Jira the better!

Like # people like this

I also very strongly vote for getting it back! Its so annoying! And no, having the possibility to change it on the side view is not the same. My whole company is complaining about this!

Yes. Please bring it back. I cannot work this way...

+1 for getting the E key function back. so annoying to switch between mouse and keyboard all the time

+50

My whole team is up in arm with this missing.  We all use it like crazy.  I don't see these being mutually exclusive.

Yes, please bring it back. Super annoying to edit without it!

Boo, boo, super-boo! After many many years of using "E" to edit an issue, this is really frustrating. What a pain. Make it a thing with the new view please!

+1 to adding this to the new Jira issue view. This can be very confusing. I thought maybe I had lost edit permission somehow.

Any idea/plan to break this feature back as requested by other follow users? Will appreciate if you could at least let us your plan.

why on earth would someone remove keyboard shortcuts from a tool like jira? this is counter productive. please bring it back. it was why i liked jira to begin with.

without it - jira gets very complicated.

is this just a phase in the new view? or going to stay like that?

+1 for bringing the shortcut back. Super essential

Tumbleweed from Atlassian... our Scrum Masters are all in the habit of clicking "use old view" every. single. time. they open an Issue.

Jon Motz I'm New Here Jun 01, 2019

This is a stupid mistake Atlassian folks. The new workflow is inefficient and slow. Go find new UX people.

Atlassian compadres... you are taking away functionality that power users rely on for efficient use. Please address this as a high priority UX issue!!

Feels like I'm being cut off at the knees here.

Wow I can't believe they took this away and added "good news, now you can type `l` to add labels".  What a joke.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/the-new-jira-issue-view-938040503.html

BRING THIS BACK!  KEYBOARD >>>>>>>> MOUSE

The accepted 'answer' "this is not working because we decided to make it not work" is correct but fully unacceptable. In Jira (and AFAIK also in Confluence) the 'e' for edit key is my most used shortcut.
@Gabriel CoriiuLooking at the storm of protest above I would kindly request to reconsider this 'feature'.

BTW My 'I'm new here' status is not correct. Seems all my mojo was deleted when I had to change to a new login due to a renaming of my company and thus my email address. Thanks :-(

0 votes

Hi all,

Actually it was working for our organisation ... until I think 3 weeks ago when a new "UI theme" was rolled out.

What's the news on this issue Atlassian folks?

My guesstimate is we're losing 80man-hours a year with the absence of this shortcut key.

Please address this. I love JIRA as it is, but without this shortcut key it just makes it hard and wasteful to use.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Ebm

Please bring back the shortcut E to the new view.

Please bring back the shortcut E to the new view

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Jira

The add-in you’ve been waiting for: Jira Cloud for Excel 🙌

Introducing Jira Cloud for Excel Here at the product integrations team at Atlassian, we are thrilled to announce the new Jira Cloud for Excel add-in! This add-in lets you export Jira data directly ...

841 views 5 22
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you