'e' keyboard shortcut to edit issue not working on backlog view in newest Jira cloud version(s)

Leo Jankowski May 25, 2018

The 'e' keyboard shortcut is no longer working on my backlog view. Since the sidebar does not allow me to update epics or the original/remaining estimates individually, this is requiring me to first open the ticket in a new tab and then edit. 

Is this a bug in the new version or did they remove this shortcut from the backlog view?

12 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Gabriel Senna
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 30, 2018

Hi Leo,

The "E" shortcut seems not be working due to the *New Jira issue view* is enabled in your instance.

For the New Jira issue view, this shortcut is no longer being used and this is a expected behaviour since the issue is shown directly on the screen and you are able to edit it.

Currently, you can disable the *New Jira issue view* and the "E" will be back to work.

Also, you can find more information about this feature in the following documentation:

Timo_Senechal July 5, 2018

As the OP wrote: The issue as shown on the screen does not allow to edit the same fields as the edit mode. Together with fields having different labels depending on the view this is the most annoying/confusing thing you built into your tool.

Generally: why for the love of god would you remove a shortcut functionality (that you still list in your documentation). PLEASE BRING IT BACK!

Like # people like this
Bernhard Roth August 23, 2018

this is really really annoying, please bring it back! the more you can do via keyboard navigation in Jira the better!

Like # people like this
Ivana Lisica August 26, 2018

I also very strongly vote for getting it back! Its so annoying! And no, having the possibility to change it on the side view is not the same. My whole company is complaining about this!

PGA August 30, 2018

Yes. Please bring it back. I cannot work this way...

Akshay Bhole October 1, 2018

+1 for getting the E key function back. so annoying to switch between mouse and keyboard all the time

Like # people like this
Joe Schwendt October 1, 2018

+50

My whole team is up in arm with this missing.  We all use it like crazy.  I don't see these being mutually exclusive.

Like # people like this
Jane Modena October 24, 2018

Yes, please bring it back. Super annoying to edit without it!

Like # people like this
Jason Mitchell October 29, 2018

Boo, boo, super-boo! After many many years of using "E" to edit an issue, this is really frustrating. What a pain. Make it a thing with the new view please!

Ben Kane November 9, 2018

+1 to adding this to the new Jira issue view. This can be very confusing. I thought maybe I had lost edit permission somehow.

alarou nassam December 19, 2018

Any idea/plan to break this feature back as requested by other follow users? Will appreciate if you could at least let us your plan.

sarel February 26, 2019

why on earth would someone remove keyboard shortcuts from a tool like jira? this is counter productive. please bring it back. it was why i liked jira to begin with.

without it - jira gets very complicated.

is this just a phase in the new view? or going to stay like that?

Fabian Hommel March 5, 2019

+1 for bringing the shortcut back. Super essential

Jon Wilson March 21, 2019

Tumbleweed from Atlassian... our Scrum Masters are all in the habit of clicking "use old view" every. single. time. they open an Issue.

Jon Motz June 1, 2019

This is a stupid mistake Atlassian folks. The new workflow is inefficient and slow. Go find new UX people.

Dan Rigby July 4, 2019

Atlassian compadres... you are taking away functionality that power users rely on for efficient use. Please address this as a high priority UX issue!!

Feels like I'm being cut off at the knees here.

Like Betsy Cohen likes this
Matt Restivo July 24, 2019

Wow I can't believe they took this away and added "good news, now you can type `l` to add labels".  What a joke.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracorecloud/the-new-jira-issue-view-938040503.html

BRING THIS BACK!  KEYBOARD >>>>>>>> MOUSE

11 votes
Deleted user April 2, 2019

The accepted 'answer' "this is not working because we decided to make it not work" is correct but fully unacceptable. In Jira (and AFAIK also in Confluence) the 'e' for edit key is my most used shortcut.
@Gabriel CoriiuLooking at the storm of protest above I would kindly request to reconsider this 'feature'.

BTW My 'I'm new here' status is not correct. Seems all my mojo was deleted when I had to change to a new login due to a renaming of my company and thus my email address. Thanks :-(

Dan Rigby July 4, 2019

+1 Eerk

Jeff Bailey March 2, 2022

+42

Like Joe Schwendt likes this
3 votes
jadams January 3, 2020

What's the status of this?  I'm am so friggin' annoyed that A, E, and L don't work anymore in the list view in Issue Navigator.  I waste so much time now!

3 votes
Michael Stewart November 6, 2019

Please bring back the shortcut E to the new view

3 votes
Michael Wu October 23, 2019

Please bring back the shortcut E to the new view.

1 vote
Dwight Holman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2022

It seems like some of the shortcut problems reported here remain unresolved as we approach the 3 year anniversary of this post. We're *still* considering migrating to Cloud and keep finding these backward steps.

Shortcut fans might want to vote for this one...

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-22139

Eugim Migue March 2, 2022

Approaching 4th year anniversary actually, since this problem was 1st opened on May 2018.

Eugim Migue March 2, 2022

And thanks for the link. :-) 

1 vote
Mark Neidlinger October 2, 2020

How many people have to request a feature, and for how long do they need to request it, before you pay attention to what your user base actually wants? Did you do any research at all that resulted in your removal of the ability to edit an issue via a shortcut key?

1 vote
jeff_bailey_canzan May 17, 2020

+1 to add this back, this makes zero sense

1 vote
Alex Holt May 14, 2020

Hi Atlassian, 

part of the reason that I use your products is for time saving and unfortunately removing the keyboard shortcuts with the rollout of your new UI has certainly cost me time and I don't think it was highlighted early. 

I do like the new UI and find better in some ways. 

Is re-enabling of important keyboard shortcuts on your nearterm roadmap? 

Alex Holt May 14, 2020

Do you have feature voting? 

1 vote
Eugim Migue June 26, 2019

Hi all,

Actually it was working for our organisation ... until I think 3 weeks ago when a new "UI theme" was rolled out.

What's the news on this issue Atlassian folks?

My guesstimate is we're losing 80man-hours a year with the absence of this shortcut key.

Please address this. I love JIRA as it is, but without this shortcut key it just makes it hard and wasteful to use.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Ebm

0 votes
Matthias Kahlert December 25, 2020

Please bring back the shortcut E to the new view!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 votes
Ingolf Davíð Petersen October 5, 2020

I second all the previous posters. Please bring the keyboard shortcuts back!

Suggest an answer