autocalculate estimation in story by adding tasks

Ira Kugelman November 6, 2019

My dev team opens task under a user story and gives them estimates. I would like my user story to automatically fill in the total estimate by adding all the task estimations.

does something like this exist in JIRA?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2019

Hello Ira, 

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I understand that you are linking tasks under Stories, configuring the tasks as "Sub-Stories" to split parts of the story work. Have I understood that correctly?

Unfortunately, no matter the kind of link you are using between the Stories and tasks, it is not possible to sum-up estimations from a child issue to its parent in JIRA, however, we understand how this functionality would be useful and created a feature request to get it implemented:

Sum estimates from sub-tasks in user stories 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, there are some workarounds mentioned in the comments of that feature request that might be useful for you, like using the app Sum it up! that provide you with the sum of any custom fields to its parent.

Please, take a look at that feature request and check if any of the provided workarounds would meet your requirements.

Suggest an answer