It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

autocalculate estimation in story by adding tasks

My dev team opens task under a user story and gives them estimates. I would like my user story to automatically fill in the total estimate by adding all the task estimations.

does something like this exist in JIRA?

1 answer

Hello Ira, 

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

I understand that you are linking tasks under Stories, configuring the tasks as "Sub-Stories" to split parts of the story work. Have I understood that correctly?

Unfortunately, no matter the kind of link you are using between the Stories and tasks, it is not possible to sum-up estimations from a child issue to its parent in JIRA, however, we understand how this functionality would be useful and created a feature request to get it implemented:

Sum estimates from sub-tasks in user stories 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

For now, there are some workarounds mentioned in the comments of that feature request that might be useful for you, like using the app Sum it up! that provide you with the sum of any custom fields to its parent.

Please, take a look at that feature request and check if any of the provided workarounds would meet your requirements.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

303 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you