We want to save epics instead of deleting them. How can we do this?

IAskc Aasim December 6, 2019

We have decided to have scum masters stop deleting epics and features. We would like to archive them but we are unaware how to do this. 

3 answers

2 votes
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2019

Issues in Jira should not really be deleted.

Your Epic workflow should be updated to have a "Closed" or "Done" status at the end of the workflow.  Be sure to set the Resolution field also, then Epics will no longer show on your boards.

1 vote
Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2019

@IAskc Aasimdeleting issues is a bad pattern, so it is great that you want to avoid that.

You have several options to achieve what you want, but these depend on your workflow.

Why can't you simply close the unneeded epics/features ?

Ha, We are new to Jira and have been learning as we go. In my query I was phrasing the question incorrectly and failed to learn that we can just close it. I appreciate and the prompt reply and will forward this to my teams 

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 6, 2019

Thank you @IAskc Aasim for voting on my answer. I would be thankful if you also accept it!

Jakub, we are not seeing the resolution field. Are we missing a step? 

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 9, 2019

@IAskc AasimCan you share more details? Resolution field is by default hidden from the screens, as it should be set automatically when the status change.

0 votes
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 6, 2019

You can set the resolution automatically (using a workflow post-function), or you can configure the workflow to display a screen which contains the Resolution field.

Suggest an answer