Update custom field values as a result of a comment (username of commenter & date)

Kara Hopkins March 31, 2023

I have 2 custom fields:

Business sign-off by (select list of Jira users)

Business sign-off date (date picker)

When a user adds a comment to a ticket with the word 'Approved' I would like to automatically populate the 'Business sign-off by' with the commenters username.

I'd also like the 'Business sign-off date' to be populated with the date the comment was added.

Is this possible using Jira automation?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2023

Hi @Kara Hopkins ,

see of the following helps. Replace the fields circled in red with the fields you wish to update.

CB3EA752-87A2-4E9C-BF5F-3290D77F931D.jpeg4F3C081E-A44E-4FD5-BE4C-EA50CC121537.jpeg

Jan-Hendrik Spieth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2023

And, just to add to that, if you need to find about the details of these custom fields, this will help: https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/find-the-smart-value-for-a-field/ 

Kara Hopkins April 3, 2023

Thanks both, as the sign off name wasn't the assignee of the issue I wasn't able to select 'User who triggered the event'.

I was able to use the smart value of {{comment.author}} to populate the field with the correct username.

Like Jan-Hendrik Spieth likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events