Time tracking comments

Partha Mandayam January 4, 2020

How to see the comments that I put when I log time after it is saved?

If I click "Time Tracking" again it just shows me blank text box to log more time

But how to see what I had entered and if I want to edit my last comment entry?

Also why do you have comments at the time tracking level as well as in the main task

It becomes duplication

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2020

Work Log Description.png

Here you go, you can edit the time log here, it will show the work log description you entered.

Work Log Edit.jpgWork Log Edit Screen.png

Hope this helps !

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2020

And for your last question the main purpose of having "work-log description" is when someone is mentioning that he/she has done work they specifically should say what they have worked about.

Some issues may not be completed in one go, it may require more than a day, at this time they need a organized way of logging-work which Atlassian has provided

Coming to the comment box, it may be used why a user is transitioning issue by providing necessary details, and for other as such.

Like Cristiano Mariano likes this
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2020

And if you want the comment to be displayed in the work-log description, in the time tracking option in issues tab of Jira administration page, there is option for copy comments to work-log description, so that when a user is transitioning a issue from one transition to the next which includes the transition screen where he can log work and at the same time comments, it will be copied to work-log description.

If you want more details please let me know. I will include the screenshots.

Like Cristiano Mariano likes this
Partha Mandayam January 5, 2020

But aren't we writing the same thing in the task comment and the work log comment? Isn't that duplication?

Cristiano Mariano
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2020

Hi @Partha Mandayam !

Usually you would write in worklog comments something related to the work you spent that time doing (e.g. worklog of 2h with the comment "Created database stored procedure x").

In task comments you would write something related to the task itself, like asking something to the reporter.

Hope this helps!

1 vote
Cristiano Mariano
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 4, 2020

Hi @Partha Mandayam How are you doing?

To see and edit the previous comments, you should go to the Work Log tab in the Activity session (beside Comments, History etc.).

As these types of comments are shown in different tabs/contexts, there is no duplication.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer