Synchronize OKTA properties with Jira properties

Eva Fernandez January 13, 2022

Hello!!

We have a casuistry that we do not know how to solve, or if there are plugins that you can help us.
We have users in OKTA with properties, we would like to be able to synchronize some of the OKTA properties with the properties of JIRA users.
The idea is to show in the Jira tickets values such as "department" or "manager" referring to the user, and which are properties of the user that right now we have in OKTA and not in Jira.

Any ideas?
Thanks a lot!

4 answers

1 vote
Eduardo Oliveira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 21, 2022

Hi @Eva Fernandez 

Eduardo here, from Mindpro (an Atlassian Marketplace partner), and I am happy to share with you one more solution that may help you to achieve this goal (or complementary need of your company).

MindPro Sync, is a Marketplace app for JIRA, where you can integrate OKTA, Azure AD, or OneLogin with Jira and JSM and retrieve user attributes.

Sync - Mapping.png

With this integration, you can:

• Connect JIRA and JSM with your favorite Identity Provider (OKTA, Azure, or OneLogin);
  • Select and map user attributes to be displayed in Jira issues or JSM requests (and portal) (such as email, phone, manager name, department, company hierarchy, and more) 
  • Use user attributes information from read-only custom fields to create JQL queries, filters, dashboards or to connect with other apps;
  • Choose to display data for the issue Reporter or Assignee;
  • Show user reporting hierarchy in Issues and JSM requests to facilitate escalation and approvals;
  • Automatically assign approvers based on user hierarchy.

Sync - Attributes.png

I hope that helps!

Eduardo Oliveira, from Mindpro team

0 votes
Chandra Shekar N May 12, 2023

Hi All,

I don't see a reason why can't the custom attributes can be published even after we purchase the Atlassian access Just money making.

0 votes
Paulo Braga October 27, 2022

Hi, I am an Okta admin.

This is crazy that we need to use a 3dr party vendor to map managers to Atlassian. Most of the other apps integrated with Okta allow manager mapping.

Why Atlassian doesn't let us map Manager and other attributes? This is a basic attribute to create an approval process and etc in Jira ITSM.

Regards,

Paulo

0 votes
Aditya_miniOrange January 14, 2022

Hello @Eva Fernandez 

This is Aditya here from miniOrange, one of the top SSO vendors on the Atlassian Marketplace. 

We have a solution for Jira Cloud that can fulfill your requirement using Custom Attribute Mapping. In Custom Attribute Mapping you can synchronize your Okta properties like department or manager role and get them updated in Atlassian Cloud during login. 

Just curious to know if you are using Atlassian Access for Single Sign-on into Cloud. The miniOrange solution works on the top of Atlassian Cloud SSO for fetching user attributes from Identity Provider i.e. Okta. 

You can check our detailed video on how to get started with Atlassian Cloud SSO and fetch custom attributes from any IdP. Atlassian Cloud Single Sign-On (SSO) | Custom Attribute Mapping.  

You can reach out to us at: atlassiansupport@xecurify.com or raise a ticket from here

Eva Fernández January 17, 2022

Hello!!

Yes, we are using Atlassian Access.
I understand that it is not possible to synchronize any type of attribute if it is not with a plugin, right?
Okta has the "provisioning" section and before purchasing any additional plugin, we ask ourselves if from this functionality of okta it is possible to synchronize attributes, somehow okta already sends user data to jira, right?

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events