Story points not visible for Issues

Stu_Durning March 3, 2020

I'm using the new project layout. I've added Story points in everywhere I can find but still can't see it for Issues. 

I've gone into 'View Field Configuration' and added it to the screen type. If I go into project 'Issue Layout' screen I can see Story Points is there for all types of issue but it doesn't show in the project.

2 answers

1 accepted

27 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2020

Hello @Stu_Durning

Thank you for reaching out.

By default, the context of the Story points field is only applicable to the Story and Epic issue types, as you can see in this documentation:

Configure estimation and tracking 

To make the Story points visible to different issue types, you must walk through the following steps:

1 - Navigate to Jira Settings > Issues > Custom Fields

2 - Find the Story Points field > ... > Contexts and default value

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 15.57.12.png

3 - Click on Edit configuration and change the applicable issues to the field

4 - Make sure the Story points field is added to your project Screens, under Project settings > Screens

5 - Make sure the Story points field is added to your Issue layout, under Project Settings > issue Layout

Let us know if you have any questions.

Stu_Durning March 4, 2020

Superb Peter! That worked :)

I like Jira but it's crazy that it's so difficult to administer!

Like # people like this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2020

You are welcome @Stu_Durning

Indeed, Jira can be a lot complex at the beginning, but I can confirm to you it is a great tool when you get familiar with it.

Let us know in case you need help with anything else. :)

Stu_Durning March 5, 2020

Once you get familiar with it, it changes again... ;)

Like # people like this
Oleg Abrazhaev
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 26, 2020

I do not get it, why Story points field is hidden by default for other ticket types. 
Is it so wrong if we want to estimate Tasks in our process?
We started Scrum in a team and were confused about how to enable Story points for 2 days, clicking on different screens.
It is confusing because in the Issue layout tab we have this field enabled and not hidden. And in the fields list, it is set as required even and not hidden. Still was not visible on the Task view.
Ahhh, so I had to find these Context settings, as I learned from this answer, wow. For 2 days we were not able to find it ourselves.  

Like # people like this
Mo December 15, 2020

Soooo helpful thank you!

Like Petter Gonçalves likes this
Kosta Stratigos
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 15, 2021

Lifesaver! Thank you!!!

Prasanjit Nayak
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 14, 2021

Thank you so much 

Julien Morganti
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 9, 2021

Thanks Petter!

David Zamora Gutiérrez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
May 24, 2022

Thanks for that!

Tony Cheung
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 22, 2022

Can we default story points to all issue types?

Like Abinaya Swaminathan likes this
Fausto Rigoni
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 17, 2023

It does not work for me.

I activated and deactivated it multiple times, edited the screens, disabled an reenabled the context. Logged out.

I see the gray bubble with the - on the middle but I cannot add the field to the screen.

Any ideas?

tranks!

Dario Andres Palminio Choy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 5, 2023

It work for me. I added Story Points to Task issue type.

add_storypoints_to_task_example.png

tranks!

1 vote
Nadiia Marchynska
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 18, 2021

I dont have story points field option even for Story and Epic type of issue here, does anyone know what could I do in this case?

Suggest an answer