Story Points For Done Stories does not count on a Sprint

Turhan Çalışkan July 25, 2018

Sprint Backlog equals to 149 Story Points

Issue Type = Story has a workflow as shown in please see Screenshot_1 

When all sub-tasks attached to a Story are Closed/Completed and the Story status is changed to Done (in this case, HOS-1714) - please see Screenshot_2, 

we expect that Story Points Done will equal to 13 (green circle) but Jira subtracts 13 from and displays Sprint Worklog Story Points as 136 - please see Screenshot_3

Can I fix this? and please let me know how..

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.pngScreenshot_3.png 

2 answers

0 votes
Simo Rajantaus April 14, 2022

Hi,

I just found my self asking the same question why the green circle is not updating. The circle is based on board settings and this will only be calculated on that circle if it on "green" column even if you have "green" status it will not work if it's not on green column...... I think this is an oversight by the devs.

This one will work :

image.png

And this will not work:image.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2022

See the previous answer about the last column on the board being the one that matters.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2018

Could you check a couple of things?

First, where is the "Done" status mapped in your board.

Second, how many story points are on HOS-1714?  (Just that issue, not its sub-tasks or linked issues)

Turhan Çalışkan July 25, 2018

Hi Nic,

Many thanks for your response.

- By "Done status mapping", I think you are referring to my Mapping Screenshot. I guess there is something missing/wrong there. 

- There are 13 Story Points on HOS-1714, please see Story Point_13 screenshot.Mapping Screenshot.pngStory Point_13.png

Turhan Çalışkan July 26, 2018

Dear Nic,

In the meantime, I have changed mapping as shown in Current Mapping screenshot.

Then, changed the status of a Story (value 8 Story Points) to Done but nothing has changed in the Sprint Backlog in terms of Done Story Points. Jira has taken 8 out of 155 Story Points and now displays Sprint Backlog = 147 Current Mapping.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2018

That's correct, you made 8 points "done", so it's knocked 8 off the sprint total.

Turhan Çalışkan July 27, 2018

Hi Nic,

Apologies, but one last thing: Jira has knocked 8 SP off the sprint total, however it does not display this story as done in green circle where it says Done: 0 of 147 (Story Points). Please see screenshot_SBL

Since we use Story Points as our Estimation Statistic, I think that my case has also an impact on the Velocity Chart. With this behavior, Jira does not reflect Committed and Completed Story Points correctly. Because, it does not count Completed Stories, instead it knocks them off which means as if fewer Story Points have been committed by the Scrum Team. Have I made myself clear?

Any remedy for my issue?..

Many thanks, Screenshot_SBL.png

Jonathan Hochberg January 7, 2020

I'm having the same problem - did you ever get this resolved?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2022

My guess is "yes", by moving all the "done" status into the last column on the board.  But there's not enough information in the responses to be sure.

Suggest an answer