Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Separate organizations versus separate projects

We are managing 4 clients within JIRA for web site development work.  I am trying to determine if it is best to 1) create separate organizations for each client  or 2) to have one organization,  and have separate projects for each client.

What are advantages and disadvantages of each?

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey Community Leader Apr 28, 2022

Hi Dawn, welcome to the community.

I don't understand the concept of having a single organization and four different projects. The reason for this is that any customer within an organization can share with any other customer in the organization. I assume you want to keep your individual clients separate. Assuming this is true then it comes down to the following choices: One project and for different organizations or for projects and for different organizations. In either case I expect you wanna have a different organization for each client. This will allow your individual customers within a client to share with her colleagues.

my advice here is that if you're going to be using the same agents to handle all of the issues for all of your clients and if the types of issues, i.e. Request types, then I would probably go with a single project and for organizations.

Thanks. But aren’t the organizations higher level than projects?  So each client would be its own organization right?  Their projects would fall under their org. 

Jack Brickey Community Leader Apr 30, 2022

I wouldn’t say they are higher level. Rather they are independent and can be associated with multiple projects. 

Got it. How can I move a project from one org to another org?

Jack Brickey Community Leader May 01, 2022

Hi Dawn,

you don't move a project to an Organization. You can add/remove an organization to/from a project via the Customer view.

0 votes

Hi @Dawn Kole-Bell ,

welcome to the Atlassian community!

In my opinion, it depends from internal users that work on the project. If you have multiple team, each of them, associated to one organization, the best way is to have separated projects.

If you have one team that work for all your 4 customers, using a single project, with different organization, could be the correct way.

This is my opinion.

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you