Amy Scales September 12, 2018

There seems to be no way to add or view watchers for Jira issue in the new view

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2018

Hello Amy,

You are correct. The new issue view does not allow you to manage watchers as the old view does, so we created a feature request in order to implement this functionality:

Allow to add other users as Watchers and see the Watcher List in the New Issue View

Please, feel free to vote and watch it.

mayur.mehta October 1, 2018

When will this feature be added?

Like Maxim Drozdov likes this
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2018

Hello Mayur,

Our development team has not informed an ETA for the implementation of this feature yet, but you can vote and give your feedback on that so they can understand how this lack is impacting you.

Craig Miles October 23, 2018

Watchers is only one of the missing features of the new Issue view.

I'm not really sure of the point of implementing a new view while taking away functionality. Is this supposed to be progress?

Also missing:

1) Embedded text references to other tickets dont resolve to hyperlinks automatically
2) Rich text fields dont offer rich text formatting options

Usability issues:

1) Link option always reverts to Blocked By instead of last used (usually Relates To in my case)

2) Changes to text fields etc dont save automatically and user has to explicitly press Save now at a field level

I'm sure there's more missing now I understand that there was no attempt to replicate the existing functionality completely - these are just the things I have spotted.

Why do we need to vote to get functionality back that was removed for no reason? Just put it all back!

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
October 24, 2018

Hello @Craig Miles,

Thank you for your feedback.

I completely understand your frustration, however, I would like to let you know that the new Issue View is still on BETA version, so our developers are still implementing functionalities to it.

Basically, our developers are creating a new simple view, evaluating what kind of features they are going to implement (or not) based on the customer's feedback. That's why your feedback on the feature requests are so important for us. :)

That being said, this is not an imponent hard-coded view that will be definitely replacing the old view at some time, but only a lab feature to evaluate what would be the next steps to implement a better View, so you can still use the old view of JIRA to keep all your functionalities.

Please, check the already reported bugs and feature requests for the other functionalities you mentioned:

Wiki Markup does not work in the New Jira Issue View

link in a preformatted text inside a comment gets removed in Jira's New issue view

Also, please feel free to create new suggestions on our JAC portal, or just let me know if you want me to create it for you. 

Mayank Vadodaria May 21, 2020

This is amazing -- it is May 21, 2020 now, and this problem was reported more than 18 months ago.

I still don't have Watchers functionality on the new Issue View -- and I wasted almost 1.5 hours yesterday trying to figure out how to add it.  Before I found this thread.

Are you saying that your developers are taking this long to add something back that they took away??   What a shame!

Like Jan Mierzejewski likes this
0 votes
Lewis Cook March 5, 2021

I recommend anyone coming across this question goes to the following issue and add's their vote/interest to it.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17456

Mandatory role out of new view is coming and this issue hasn't been updated in over a year....

0 votes
Nicolas LACOUR November 4, 2020

November 2020.

And the Watcher functionality is still missing on the New Issue View.

What kind of joke is this ?!?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
November 4, 2020

Hello @Nicolas LACOUR

Actually, the Watcher functionality is properly working on the new issue view. Please, note that the feature request is resolved now:

Allow to add other users as Watchers and see the Watcher List in the New Issue View 

If you are not able to manage watchers as you need, please check if you have the proper permissions under project settings > Permissions.

Nicolas LACOUR November 4, 2020

Hello,

This is a complete nonsense to dissociate Reporter / Assignee / Watchers.

More generally, this layout does not make any sense.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
November 4, 2020

Hello @Nicolas LACOUR

Sorry to hear that the new issue view is not supporting your expectations.

Can you please give us more details on what do you mean by your last statement?

I apologize for my misunderstanding, but I really would like to go into further details to better understand your frustration and may provide you with a better option to achieve your needs.

In fact, it would be great if you could provide us with a practical example/use case to specify what do you mean by the following sentence:

This is a complete nonsense to dissociate Reporter / Assignee / Watchers.

If this is not related to the original question (Add watchers in the new issue view), you can create a new question so we can properly go into further details and ensure other users with the same concerns/questions will be able to easily find our conversation.

Thank you for your feedback and please let us know the details of your perspective.

Suggest an answer