New Subtask issue type in Next-Gen project

Richard Steele August 28, 2019

In Next Gen Projects, we have sub tasks - however, my QA wants to add bugs to the User Story and then view them in the scrum board under the user story - The only way i thought we could achieve this was to create a new issue type as "Sub Type Bug", using  a Sub Type issue (template) however i cannot find how to create a new sub type issue type under project settings - can anyone help?

Thank-you

Richard

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2019

Hello Richard,

Welcome to Atlassian community!

Indeed, in JIRA Next-gen you can only use the default single type of sub-task for now. In fact, the sub-task functionality is a relatively new feature in next-gen (It was implemented two months ago as you can see in this link), so I believe our developers will be adding further improvements to it in the next months.

For reference, you can check below the feature request opened to allow the creation of multiple sub-task types in Next-gen projects:

Allow the creation of Multiple Sub-task issue types in Next-gen

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Quynhma December 26, 2019

Hello Peter,

Any updates? We won't see any feedback for creating multiple sub-task issue types. Quite hard to manage the project, thinking to go back to other version.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Max January 19, 2020

Hi Petter,
Any updates for this feature? We need it so badly for our project management. 

Thanks,

Ryan Bulloch February 21, 2020

Oh Petter, please respond!

It's yet another blocker with adopting next-gen projects for us as well.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2020

Hello Folks!

Unfortunately, we have not implemented that feature on Jira Next-gen yet.

The good news is that the feature request has received a good number of votes and should already be considered by our development team.

Just like mentioned before, you can click to watch the feature request and be aware of any updates as soon as our development team has anything:

Allow the creation of Multiple Sub-task issue types in Next-gen 

Also, make sure to add your feedback on that feature request as well, since that is the main source our developers are measuring its impact and requirement.

Thanks!

SimerpreetKaur July 30, 2020

Please prioritise this feature!! It is so painful to track bugs that belong to a story in 'Group by subtask' view. It gets thrown right to the bottom as issues without stories, and its annoying, gets lost, is missed or we have to scroll up and down so many times!! OMG!!

Like Pau Oliveras likes this
Hitesh.Kumar December 10, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves when will this feature be available? any update ?

Hitesh.Kumar February 15, 2021

@Petter Gonçalves any updates on this feature? Do we have release dates for this feature? 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-20901 - This ticket is still in OPEN status. 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
February 22, 2021

Hello @Hitesh.Kumar

As you can see in the Feature request, the last update added this month (February 2021) is that this is not something that will be prioritized in the next few months, unfortunately.

In fact, our dev team is running against the time to have all the bugs related to the new issue view properly fixed before the full implementation of the new issue view, that will happen next month as specified here, so they will definitely be focusing on those bugs for now.

Please, ensure you've voted and watched the feature request to confirm our developers are aware of the importance of this feature.

Mykola Kulpa October 14, 2021

Friendly reminder, I'm still waiting ;)

Like # people like this
miftahul.yusuf November 17, 2021

Also waiting for this feature, maybe can solve problem with Sub-Task Execution when user Xray.

Hitesh.Kumar November 17, 2021

Hi @Petter Gonçalves - A friendly reminder !!! any updates on this?

Mariano Lancellotti April 21, 2022

Almost 3 years after and the feature is still "Under consideration"? It's something you already have in another type of project, it shouldn't be that hard to implement.

Please, we need to create new types of sub-tasks!

If not, I will regrettably have to turn the project into a classic one.

Like Evita Cinco likes this
1 vote
Nikita Abelmasov July 20, 2021

Still no updates?

1 vote
Aroa May 3, 2021

I hope they consider the feature soon! 

Tijs Tijert November 17, 2021

Please Vote on [JSWCLOUD-20901] Allow the creation of Multiple Sub-task issue types in Team Managed projects - Create and track feature requests for Atlassian products. (top right corner).

The request is now over 2 years old and the feature is currently under consideration. The more votes it gets, the sooner it will be developed!

Like Hitesh.Kumar likes this
Hitesh.Kumar November 17, 2021

Voted !!!

Suggest an answer