Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

JQL to calculate sum of story points for all stories for a sprint

Dear Team,

One of the teams I am working with, have got a unique requirement of showing the total number of story points for all the stories/Tasks slotted in various different future sprints.

The team have adopted SAFe practices & hence out of the PI planning, they have a rough sprint plan having stories and tasks estimated (in story points - using the story points field in Jira cloud) & slotted in future sprints.

The intent is to provide leadership with a view of total no. of story points planned for each sprint.

I am aware JQL - out of the box will not support this. Hence looking at a plugin like Script Runner/Enhanced Search but wanted to confirm that this does unlock the aggregate functions like Sum/Totals that I can use in writing advanced JQL queries?

if someone can redirect me to an example JQL that does a sum on story points field - that would be awesome

Thanks in advance.

Mit

4 answers

Hi @Mit Tolia

just adding to Jack's and Dave's answers, here's another Marketplace app that you might like: JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing and inline-editing all your issue fields. It also allows grouping your issues by any issue field and calculating "sum ups" across these groups - i.e., you can group your issues by their sprint and sum up their story points, like so:

group-by-sprint.gif

It's worth noting that JXL can do much more than that - from quick filtering and sorting, to bulk editing via copy/paste, to support for complex issue hierarchies and nested groupings, etc. More info at https://jxl.app. Disclaimer: I work on JXL :)

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes

Hi, @Mit Tolia.

I don't want to contradict @Jack Brickey, but I have seen many situations like yours where Backlog reports don't really fit the bill for leadership. (Jack may have had the opposite experience.) 

Typically, in cases like yours, folks end up opting for more than JQL + Scriptrunner. There is nothing wrong with either of those, but there are a number of Atlassian Marketplace apps that do exactly what you describe.

The most common are BigPicture and Structure for Jira. Both are frequently used in SAFe applications. But there are others. (Note: I work for the company that makes Structure).

Here's a marketplace search that will reveal some of the other possibilities. Hi emboldened the key search criteria for you.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&product=jira&query=sum

Hope this helps!

-dave

Jack Brickey Community Leader Apr 26, 2022

@Dave Rosenlund _Tempo_ , please contradict away. The community is all about different perspectives and experiences as it can ultimately help those seeking knowledge. Agree we are likely looking at an addon here.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support Marketplace Partner Apr 26, 2022

Hi @Mit Tolia 

If you would be interested in a mktplace app for a ready made solution, you can try out

Issue Hierarchy Reports 

And generate insights such as:

- Sum up Time Spent, Org Estimate, Time Rmng, custom number
fields

- View the full Jira Issue Type hierarchy of Linked issues,
Portfolio/Advanced Roadmaps, Epics, and Subtasks up to 10 levels.

- Export your reports to a CSV file

(Disclaimer: I work on RVS, the vendor for this app)

Links HIerarchy.PNG

Thanks for your response @Rahul_RVS_Support , but am really after the total of story points for each sprint, rather then at an Epic level.

I do feel the enhanced search app/plugin should suffice but looking for some confirmation from the broader community to validate my hypothesis/understanding

Rahul_RVS_Support Marketplace Partner Apr 26, 2022

Thanks @Mit Tolia for your reply.

The app does have filter for sprint as well and provides total of story points and time estimates at sprint level.

Do try it out.

0 votes

Hi @Mit Tolia ,

just wondering why the data presented in the Backlog doesn't work? That is you can click on the ellipses beside the assignee avatar and it delivers a pop up with the estimation details.

85BBCA14-92AB-43F6-8E09-33D1F52C204B.jpeg

Hey @Jack Brickey  - in the backlog view, I believe the estimation details show up only for an active sprint & not for the future sprints.

Also, this is due to the requirement from one of the key stakeholders who is interested in seeing some of this key information (No. of stories in each sprint, total No. of story points for all stories slotted for the current sprint + upcoming sprints, Sprint goals) in one place - either on a Confluence or on a dashboard.

They do not want to swivel chair between multiple views, hence leveraging the backlog view from Jira is not a feasible option & exploring other ways to solve this problem

Jack Brickey Community Leader Apr 26, 2022

So the backlog does show this for future sprints. But if that doesn't work you might need to look at an addon app. Ideally you could do something with a gadget on a dashboard but none exist AFAIK.

Like Dave Rosenlund _Tempo_ likes this

This is true. But some of the marketplace apps I refer to have Jira gadgets you can use for reports that include other info. (if desired).  I happen to know BigPicture and Structure for Jira do, for example.

Like Jack Brickey likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you