Issues trying to sort my backlog by creation date

Tim Cadran December 21, 2021

I am trying to sort my backlog by the original date the issue was created. I have looked at other discussions and tried creating the following JQL:

Sprint = EMPTY ORDER BY createddate DESC

However when I go to the backlog, the issues are not sorted by created date. The top two issues show a created date of 12/9/2021, the third issue shows a created date of 8/9/2020, and then 15 or so issues below there are issues with 12/8/2021 creation dates.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the order. Is this user error on the JQL I'm using for the quick filter, or a known issue with Jira?

Thanks!

Tim 

2 answers

2 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2021

Hi @Tim Cadran -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Perhaps the key here is you note this is for a quick filter.  Is that correct?

If so, quick filters only filter; they do not order the issues.  Only the main filter for a board orders the issues on the backlog and the board.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Sandesh Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2021

@Tim Cadran 

You need to edit board filter to sort issues. Please refer this doc. for the same https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-filters/

Suggest an answer