Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
4,359,848
Community Members
 
Community Events
168
Community Groups

Issue with encoding in notifications

I use the free version of Jira Software. Very often we use Russian language in our tickets, Cyrillic. And I noticed that in Notifications (and in some other places) there is an issue with the text, looks like some issue with encoding.

download.pngScreenshot_5.png

 

On the Board, Backlog or if I open the ticket, as well as notification to my email: all these cases are OK, without any problems.

I tried to change the language in my account from Russian to English and back to Russian - the result is same. I asked my team member to verify this issue - it's there.

 

How this can be fixed?

 

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

The issue is not reproducing anymore. Problem was fixed.

0 votes

Started noticing the same issue starting September 13, reproduced with multiple users using several OS and browsers so it doesn't look like it's OS/Browser/User specific issue.

Same issue. It happened today.

The same problem, team noticed problems with encoding early today.

A guess, this problem happens only if a specific member made an update. Perhaps, there is an issue with his browser that breaks tickets. He is currently using Opera, I asked him to install Chrome/Firefox and after that we will test it again.

I'm using firefox (on windows and on linux) and have the same problem with notifications

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events