Issue migration CSV import issues

Aldo Cauchi Savona July 22, 2021

Hi,

Migrating issues from JIRA server to cloud..

I created the custom fields on the cloud yesterday.

Today I did an export of 2 issues into a CSV from our JIRA server. 

However, in the Map Fields step, the custom fields area that were created yesterday are missing from the JIRA field drop-down list, one that was created on Monday, however, is showing.

With regards to the Created and Creator field, I find no mapping in the list.

The Next button at the bottom of the page is disabled, Even if i mapped 4 fields.

On final query, is it possible to export the comments via a CSV export (all fields) without the use of a plugin?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
mfabris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2021

Hey Aldo! 

When you export to CSV make sure you choose "all fields" and not only the "visible fields".

All the comments will be in the export (you will find a column "comment 1", a column "comment 2" and so on).

When importing into a project, if you want to use a certain field inside the project, you have to go to "Custom fields" and make sure that the context of that custom field is extended to the project where you intend to use it. 

If the context of the custom field is restricted and your target project is not included, then you will not find it, like it does not exist.

I hope this helps, good luck with your import :) 

Aldo Cauchi Savona July 28, 2021

HI @mfabris , while the comments are being shown correctly as custom fields in the CSV, in the import mapping, I do not get the option one where to place the comment(s).

I also am having trouble importing sub-tasks. I imported the story separately first, no problem, got the issue ID of the story in JIRA cloud and replaced the value in the CSV, but no luck.

Any help please?

In some issues that have an existing user assigned to the issue, import validation still gives an error of: 

• Issue can't be created due to the error/s [ User '5ce3b3cb4326200dc97257c9' cannot be assigned issues. ]
  • Issue can't be created due to the error/s [ User '60e2d919e7b4fd006a53c01b' cannot be assigned issues. ]

how can I convert the weird user number reported into a valid under name, please?

mfabris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2021

I think you should just map "comment" to "comment body" and that's it?

comment.PNG

If you want to import tasks with subtasks, the procedure you describe is right...

I am not sure why this does not work in Cloud. 

What do you get as an error? no links at all?

Are you actually importing a column "issue-type" that assigns the right issue type (subtask) to your subtasks?

mfabris
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2021

For the error, either you map an assignee to every issue, that can be assignable user (for example you can put your username in a column, for every ticket) or you must make sure that whomever is assignee has the right assignable user, or the import will fail

Like Aldo Cauchi Savona likes this

Thank for your quick reply @mfabris :) 

I found the issue at a similar time, basically because the user was no set as a project user in the project settings > People.

After adding them there, the import had no issues with the assignee any more.

HI @mfabris ,

With regards to the comments, In the mapping step, I get an option on where to place the comment in the imported issue, but Comment Body, is not shown as an option in the JIRA list.

If I type in Comment I get 'No matches':

Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 15.10.57.png

Thanks.

Like jpalas likes this

@mfabris , with regards to the sub task,

Issue type and parent id are mapped:

Screenshot 2021-07-28 at 15.25.36.png

The error I get is:

• Subtask '10015' doesn't have a valid Parent Id selection. Issue will not be created.

thanks

Aldo Cauchi Savona July 30, 2021

Hi all, spoke with a JIRA consultant, who recommended that the import is done via the Admin > External Import. On doing this, the comment body showed in the field mapping options and was successfully imported.

With regards to the subtasks, the story was imported first. The in the subtask CSV, the parent ID was changed to the new issue key (like NRMA-5) and the import succeeded along with the correct subtask parent being set.

mfabris
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2021

I had no idea you were not using "External system import"... I should have asked.

Happy that it worked!

Have a nice weekend!

Suggest an answer