Is there a way to make custom text field boxes multiple lines (like jira-default field comments)?

Jeff Scarsbrook September 11, 2012

I created a new custom text field to use on one of the screens I created. However, it seems as though all custom text fields show on the screen as a single line. The jira default text fields (like comments and description) show as multiple lines on the screen. You can also use the enter key on the jira default text fields to go to the next line, whereas the enter key defaults to the "submit" button on the open screen when you hit the enter key inside the custom text field.

Are there any ways around this behavior?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2012

It sounds like you're using a custom field of type "Text Field (<255 Characters)". You should use "Free Text Field" instead.

Free Text Field (unlimited text)
A multiline text area custom field to allow input of longer text strings.

Jeff Scarsbrook September 11, 2012

@justinc, thanks for the reminder ... I swear I looked through the available field types and would've sworn that option wasn't there, but of course it was. Obviously, I need some more caffeine! That was exactly the type I was looking for.

Justin Corcoran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2012

no problem, I swear those things move around, I can never find the one I'm looking for. Glad you found it, and would you please mark the answer as correct?

Suggest an answer