How to view consolidated backlog from several projects?

In JIRA we have several projects set-up and while we are able to view the total backlog within a given project, we are unable to see a consolidated backlog view across all projects.  This is needed when the total backlog needs prioritization.  Right now we have to do this manually by copying and pasting the stories into a Word doc to prioritize.  Any suggestions?

1 answer

0 vote

Define a filter that includes all of the projects you want to consolidate, and they you can work with that.

If you're using Agile, you can use that filter to drive the boards

In doing this will I be able to move issues up and down to change the priority or is that task only capable within the backlog view for each project? I think the answer is no, but hoping I'm wrong. Thanks again.

No, the "backlog view" is for a *board*, not a project. A board can include many projects, so you can drag between all the projects your board covers.

Hi Nic, Yes I was able to create a filter to include all the projects is there a simple way to exclude certain things? e.g. in the status field I don't want to include items that are closed. I read through the query help but am unable to figure out how to enter the "not" command in the string. Is that something you can give me some guidance on? Thanks for your help! Mary

Yes, adding clauses to the filter is the way to do it. For status, just add "status not in (x, y, z)" to the query. (I've assumed you want to exclude many status)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,203 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot