How to select text in Jira?

Nicholas Keene April 9, 2024

I am looking at the Jira page for... um, okay I don't even know. It's our sprint board with three columns. Jira doesn't label this page and the URL doesn't help <https://webaction.atlassian.net/jira/software/c/projects/DEV/boards/146>. Maybe it's called a "board"?

Anyway on this page my tickets are listed in the columns and I need to copy the ticket ID for my purposes.

How do I select the ticket ID text?

* Dragging on the text doesn't work. The ticket rectangle starts moving around.

* Pressing Command doesn't help

* Pressing Option doesn't help

* Pressing Shift doesn't help

* Right-click dragging doesn't help

What is the user interaction to select text in a Jira webpage?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dexter de Vera
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2024

Hi @Nicholas Keene ,

@Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_ solution is the fastest way.

You also may click the ticket key. after the issue popup, hover text of the issue key (upper left) or  in URL.

image.png

Nicholas Keene April 10, 2024

These are two of my go-to workarounds when the ticket ID specifically is the thing I'm trying to copy.

2 votes
Rob Mkrtchian April 9, 2024

I might have misunderstood your question, but maybe you meant this? Point on the ticket ID and do the right click, then select "copy".

Screenshot 2024-04-10 at 00.51.35.png

0 votes
Nicholas Keene April 10, 2024

I appreciate those responses, yes those are the kinds of workarounds I use. I could have been more specific because I don't always want to select and copy the entire link text, frequently I want only part of it, or it plus other text. Also my example was the link on the board page but the same problem applies to lots of text on Jira pages.

I have quite a few workarounds like yours. Sometimes I select-all, copy, paste into a text editor, find the part I want, and copy it. But I'd rather just, you know, select the text on the webpage and copy it.

In HTML regular links are deactivated using the option key (Mac), then you can select within the text, but Atlassian does something to to break that. What I'm hearing is that it can't be unbroken so we all have a pocket full of workarounds.

0 votes
Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2024

Hi @Nicholas Keene

It looks that you're on the board view. Hover over the issue, click three dots, and select Copy issue link.

board-three-dots.pngboard-copy-issue-link.png

0 votes
Matt Parks
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2024

The boards are just a representation of the issues and their current status. If you want to update the issues, you either need to click on the card (the rectangle that you can move around), which should bring up a panel on the right side of the board where you can update certain fields or you can click on the link for the issue to display the issue in its own screen. From there, you can then edit the issue (by clicking on the 'Edit' button or individual fields) if you want to change any of the field values.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events