How to restrict the assignees depending on the department selected

Ilze Schoeman December 10, 2019

We have a field on some of our projects called - Departments. 

If a certain department is selected - in this case it is DBA - can we restrict the assignees available and make it throw a relevant error if someone tries to assign it to someone who is not within that team?

The problem here is that some people change the department to DBA or forget to change it after the DBA part is finished... and it's making it impossible to group together all the ongoing DBA tasks across JIRA as each project uses jira slightly differently (which is ridiculous I know :D ) 

1 answer

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2019

Not out of the box. If they are an assignable user they can be assigned. I'm not aware of any plugin that would do that. And being in the cloud you have a limited number of plugins you can use. If you aren't using the component field you can control the initial assignee by using the component field for the department. You can setup the default assignee to select the component lead. 

Ilze Schoeman December 10, 2019

Hi, 

Thank you for getting back to me so soon..

Is there a way for us to have a default assignee if a certain department is selected?

I don't think we will be able to move to using the components at this time for this particular department

Thanks in advance for your time.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2019

the only way to get a default assignee is if you use the component field for the department list. However, that only works upon creation. If you want to do that I suggest you make the component field required in the field configuration scheme. Check the link below for managing components

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/managing-components-938847187.html 

Suggest an answer