How to restore deleted Board physically?

dharan kumar January 14, 2020

Someone in our team have deleted our Jira Board by mistake. Could you please suggest how this can be restored as we're not able to see the board now? 

1 answer

2 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2020

Hi @dharan kumar

unfortunately, a deleted issue/board/etc. can only be restored through a backup BUT a board is only a visual representation of a filter. So you should be able to rebuild it quite easily. But you cannot restore it.

Best, Max

Thanks @Max Foerster - K15t 

But We didn't even have those filters and also the columns which we have created for that board? That's the only problem. How can we restored through backup?

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2020

First of all, do you have a backup? Maybe it's a smart move to spin up a separate machine and Jira instance using that backup and then to rebuild the board. Better than overwriting your production instance with a backup and losing any changes made until now. :)

I don't even know how to take the backup? SO i have no idea whether does this have backup or not?

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 15, 2020

hey @dharan kumar

excuse me please, I totally missed the cloud label yesterday. Cloud's a different deal in terms of backups because you have no direct access to the infrastructure and system itself. But even you have possibilities to make backups: For example, this article is a good read: How to Automate Backups for JIRA Cloud applications

And more importantly please have a look at this document which explains backups in Atlassian cloud applications:

Cloud Data Storage FAQ

Backups are generated daily and retained for 30 days to allow for point-in-time data restoration. 

You can also generate an offline backup of your Jira or Confluence Cloud site once every 48 hours. Atlassian maintains these backups on your behalf for 7 days. 

But long story short, there's no real help possible right now unless you want to restore the whole instance through Atlassian support and lose data. :/ Rebuilt the board, be careful with administrative rights and train your users. 

Best, Max

Suggest an answer