How to prevent notifications on tickets not in the current sprint?

Surinder_Singh August 20, 2012

We are using GreenHopper to plan our Sprints.

How can I ensure that developers don't get email notifications against Stories/Tickets in Jira unless that Story/Ticket is assigned to them and in the current Sprint?

Trying to eliminate a lot of noise generated when discussing tickets that are not immediately relevant for a given developer.

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Stefani Vacheva September 3, 2018

Hi, 

This feature is important for most of the Jira users for many reasons. If a PM decide to edit, start a new sprint and move a tickets from the old sprint to a new one all of the related (assigned, watchers etc.) people to this ticket will receive an e-mail notification for that change. This could be a little disturbing and can occur an omission for the users due to the fact that if user receive too many notification mails could miss something really important. I believe that not all of the users should receive a notification when any ticket is moved form one sprint to another. Only the Business owners, Project Managers, Project Admins perhaps will be interested of receiving those e-mail notifications.

Please let me know if this feature is already released and I have missed the information about it.

Thank you very much.

0 votes
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2014

Hi Surinder,

You can only restrict notifications for each project by creating for each a different notification scheme.

Unfortunately the feature to restrict it per sprint does not exist yet.  Though, we have created a new feature request to do so (GHS-11185). Please feel free to add your comments and vote for it to make it more noticeable to our developers. Also refer to Implementation of New Features Policy for more information on Atlassian's approach to the development of these improvements requests.

Please let us know if we can help you any further.

Cheers!

jayesh_pathade February 15, 2017

Hi Elisa,

This is a must have feature. JIRA notifications can be over whelming to the team on certain days with too much noise. Please do try to get your developers to work on this.

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2012

OK, so leaving the 'OnDemand' aspect aside....

Thats a great Idea, but how do you determine who the developers are? how do you know what the current sprint is, its possible to have more than one sprint active at any time (human nature).

I ask as JEMH can take over the project notification role from JIRA (even re-using the notification scheme) but filtration, thats something Ive not yet implemented, so Im looking for use cases...

Suggest an answer