How to change the Parent Issue, if the Subtask changed?

Hasan Atasoy October 28, 2019

I want that  ParentIssue (Story) will changed automatically, if the Subtask is changed.

How can I do this?

2 answers

1 vote
fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2019

with automation you can do it in simple ways.

you can trigger the automation rule when the issue changes (whatever you want to control) and look for linked issues to interact with them

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 28, 2019

automation is indeed the way to go but will require an addon, e.g. Automation for Jira, Scriptrunner, Power Scripts, etc.

fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2019

Yes, I was referring to Automation for Jira addon.

@Hasan Atasoy if you have Automation for Jira I could give you the steps, have some solutions similar to what you need.

Hasan Atasoy October 29, 2019

Yes I have, Jirra Automation.

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2019

Hi @Hasan Atasoy 

I don't understand your question.

If "what?" changes on a subtask, "what?" should change on the parent?

Hasan Atasoy October 28, 2019

I mean the chage of Statues. For example if I have finish all Subtasks, so should Story finish automatically.

Or if i start a Subtask, so should change the Staus of Story from Open to "in Work".

fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 29, 2019

You need three steps

1. When: Issue transitioned
  2. Branch rule / related issues

3. Then: Transition the issue to

automation 1.pngautomation 2.pngautomation 3.pngThis will work nice if the workflows in parents and subtasks are the same, otherwise, the thingcan be a little bit messy because you have to match every status in subtask with the corresponding status in parent.

Also, this works fine with only one subtask or in the case of transitioning from "open" to "in work" (the first subtask to go into work triggers the parent), but it will be more complicated for closing (is the last subtask the one that defines the parent is finished) but in this case jira has an option to close parent when all subtasks are done.

Hope this helps.

Suggest an answer