How to add user board visibility in Jira?

p_ryzhikov January 28, 2020

Guys, I can’t understand how to limit the visibility of some project participants to other projects within the same account. My actions:

1. Created a test user
  2. Removed it from all groups by default
  3. Added all existing roles to the test user
  4. Created a new group
  5. Through the project restriction scheme gave this group access to the project
    What I have in total:
    I go in as a test user, and I see one, the accessible project I need, BUT, he sees only filters but not boards. How to add user board visibility in Jira?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2020

Hello @p_ryzhikov

Thank you for reaching out.

Per your description, you are trying to configure a test user with access only to a specific project, however, when you log as the user you are not being able to see the boards related to the project, although you can access the filters and issues in the project. Is that correct?

Logged as the site admin, please check the following steps:

1 - The boards of Jira Software projects are provided by the Jira Software application access. Without that setting, the user will not be able to see the project boards or any other Software features.

To check if the user is properly configured with the Software application access, click in the Cog icon (Settings) at the bottom-left corner of your Jira site > User Management > Click in the User > Check if the Jira Software application Access is flagged:

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 17.24.57.png

2 - The visibility of the boards are based on the filter permissions related to the board. To check who can see the board filter, you can perform the steps below:

- Navigate to the board > ... > Board settings > General > Click to Edit filter Query

- Click in Details at the right side of the Filter name > Check under Permission who can see the board/filter, optionally changing it by click on Edit Permissions

Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 17.32.58.png

In case the steps above didn't help, please provide us with a screenshot of the start screen displayed to you when you access the project logged as the test user.

p_ryzhikov January 30, 2020

Hello Petter Gonçalves
Thanks for your answer and all that you described in the first paragraph is true. But I still have several questions:

1.  how I can check that <the boards of Jira Software projects are provided by the Jira Software application access>?
  2. when I flagged Jira Software application Access to this user he can watch all projects but not only one. How I can change it?

This is a screenshot of the start screen that appears when I logged as a test user (without flagged Jira Software application access) https://prnt.sc/quxpbq
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2020

Hello @p_ryzhikov

Thank you for reaching out and sorry for the delayed response.

I saw you commented an acknowledgment below, however, I'm not sure if you have resolved all your issues, here are the answers to your questions above:

1 - You can find the specific features of Jira Core and Software in the following Atlassian documentation:

JIRA Software: Features and Functions 

2 - This behavior is happening because the permission scheme related to the projects is configured with the application access: Any logged user. That being said, you must restrict your projects by configuring the permission scheme with proper roles and add the users you want with those roles. You can find more information in the link below:

Managing Project Permissions 

Let us know if you have any questions.

Hannah_Avellaneda March 10, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves 

Hi Petter, 

I am trying to add a group to this board but it is not appearing as one of the dropdown selections. 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
March 11, 2020

Hello @Hannah_Avellaneda

Could you please provide us more details about what you are trying to achieve exactly?

The instructions I provided above are not related to boards, but to the projects in Jira. Can you please provide us some screenshots of what you are trying to achieve and what is the problem you are facing?

Hannah_Avellaneda March 11, 2020

I was able to resolve it on my own :)

0 votes
p_ryzhikov February 18, 2020

Thanks a lot!

Suggest an answer