How do I remove an issue from a completed sprint?

Ciaran Grimes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 11, 2018

Hi,

We've got some stories that have accidentally been in previous sprints but were hidden due to their status. These stories have been taken out of the current sprint but show all the previous sprints they were in. This is causing them not to show up on other boards due to some board specific filters. I've changed these filters for now but in the past I was able to just remove the completed sprints from issues using the technique described in - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-I-remove-an-issue-from-a-completed-sprint/qaq-p/123077

I've just tried it again and it doesn't seem to be working for me. It lets me change the sprint field to a genuine sprint but seems to no longer be working if I leave it blank, it says it is going to do it but doesn't seem to update anything.

Has anyone come across this problem recently, is this working for other people? 

Thanks.

4 answers

7 votes
Nicola Huggett
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 6, 2019

I've managed to remove a closed sprint by bulk editing & changing the sprint to a current open sprint, then remove the sprint value. Bit of a pain as you have to do 2 things to get there but got the result I needed.

Nicolas LAISNEY
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 22, 2021

Thanks a lot !

Like Nicola Huggett likes this
Gaëlle ML
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 5, 2022

Thanks a mil for sharing, it worked. :) 

Like Nicola Huggett likes this
Marco C.
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 6, 2023

the "change sprint" field takes a sprintId (number).

I could find mine by mousing over a ticket and seeing the sprintid parameter on the url.  ;) 

Another way is to go to the sprint reports and see the url with the sprintId for the select sprint's report (change on the drop down if needed).

1 vote
Manohar Kurapati
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 16, 2018

Hi I have the same issue too.. anyone the forum please can you post if there is anyway to clear the Completed sprint from the issue in JIRA Cloud.

Thanks,

Manohar

Taini Streater November 26, 2018

vote to say I am having the same problem, in JIRA Cloud

Greyson Yant March 21, 2019

My current workaround is to clone the issues discarding sprint data. In JIRA Cloud this can be done via CSV export/import or the Clone / Bulk Edit Clone functions.

Greyson Yant March 21, 2019

My current workaround is to clone the issues discarding sprint data. In JIRA Cloud this can be done via a CSV export/import or the Clone function.

1 vote
Jordan Van Winkle
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 31, 2018

I'm having this same issue. It appears to work by showing the bulk action was successful, but the completed sprint still shows up in the sprint field of the ticket. Any update?

Martin Dieblich
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 23, 2023

it worked for me only if I assign a new sprint in the bulk edit. Maybe you have left out a value here?

0 votes
Mohamed Riza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2018

Hi @Ciaran Grimes

I attempted to reproduce this issue in Jira 7.11.2, however, doing a bulk edit to an empty value would clear the the sprint field. Can you clarify the version you are using? In addition to this, can you please clarify when you once you go to those issues in the Jira issue view, do they still have the old value of the Sprint, or is this present only in the Issue Navigator while searching? 

Ciaran Grimes
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 13, 2018

@Mohamed Riza

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I should have made it clear, this is in Jira cloud. The behaviour you are describing is exactly what I want - clearing the sprint field - but it appears to not be working anymore (or I'm doing something wrong). I've just done it again to check and the old sprint value is present in the issue view and the issue navigator. 

I've done this quite a few times in the past and it has worked fine so not sure what is going wrong now!

Thanks.

Like Craig Bishton likes this

Suggest an answer