How do I re-index if there isn't an Indexing option in Advanced System Settings?

Manthan January 8, 2019

How to re-index any particular JIRA project?

3 answers

1 vote
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2019

@Manthan

You can reindex a single JIRA project, as a JIRA administrator, by:

1. Visit the project
  2. Click on the "Project settings" on the bottom left of the screen.
  3. On "Project settings" page, Click on "Re-index project" option from the left hand side menu.
  4. Click on "Start project re-index" button to perform the project re-indexing.
Manthan January 9, 2019

I have checked under project setting and JIRA setting as well, but I am not getting option Re-Index project.

Smita March 22, 2020

I dont see the Reindex Project option in JIRA cloud. I am an administrator and site admin . What is wrong?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2020

You don't need to re-index Cloud, Atlassian does it for you when your system gets into a state where it might be needed.

Oleg Ivashko January 10, 2021

I've changed the setting for comment sorting but it still the same (I used this guide - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/change-the-default-order-for-comments/) - no change. I googled and guys mentioned that I need to re-index the project.

Here @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- says that the system will do it on its own when this is needed. Well, I need this now. How can I make it happen then?

Like tor likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2021

You don't, as discussed above.

Changing the default sort order of comments does not require reindexing anyway.

Oleg Ivashko January 11, 2021

Can't confirm this, actually. I changed the order from ASC to DESC and it made no effect - neither immediate nor during the day.

If this is not the index-dependant thing, then how can I make this setting be applied?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2021

I think that might need to go to Atlassian support.

I changed the setting in a Cloud system and saw it work immediately.  Only guess I have is that it might be case sensitive (you've said DESC and the one that worked for me was desc)

Oleg Ivashko January 27, 2021

Here is what Jira support said about the ability to change sorting:

According to our documentation Changing the default order for comments from ascending to descending with the rolling out a new issue view, with a consistent appearance across Jira and one screen to view and edit. Currently, you can't change the default order of comments in the new issue view.

If you are using the "Old issue view" the steps you have described should work to change the order of the comments. However, our team is tracking via this ticket Ability to change comment order in the new portal design to implement this feature on the new issue view.

I have gone ahead and shared your feedback with our product team, I would request you to Vote and add yourself as a watcher to get updates on the ticket, as and when they are made available by our developers following our Feature Request policy.

I wish there was more I could do on my side to bring this feature to light for you. However, since no further direct action can be performed within the scope of this support case, I will go ahead and mark this case with a Suggested Resolution.
Please let me know if further assistance is needed and will be glad to help.

Best regards,
Joydeep Chatterjee
Cloud Support Engineer

Like tor likes this
0 votes
Eyal Sooliman December 13, 2021

You can re-index through Xray:

Capture.JPG

Rogério Paiva - Xray Xporter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2022

Hi @Eyal Sooliman 

The option should be available, so please try again.

If not, it is best to contact Xray Support (http://Xraysupport.getXray.app) to share your configuration so that the support team can investigate further.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Rogerio Paiva [Xray Support Team]

0 votes
Sergej Grasmik January 8, 2019

Hi Manthan,

you can re-index particular projects in project's admin-menu 

reindex.JPG

Manthan January 9, 2019

Thanks for sharing screenshot, however when I click on my project setting, I am getting different view and options.

Sergej Grasmik January 9, 2019

Which version do you use, or you use jira cloud?

Manthan January 9, 2019

JIRA cloud.

Sergej Grasmik January 9, 2019

You don't need to do re-index in Jira Cloud anymore.

See the comment of Dmitry Tyomkin:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Can-t-re-index-Jira-Cloud/qaq-p/613607 

Smita April 1, 2020

If you dont get to see the options then how to u get it indexed?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2020

You don't need to re-index Cloud, Atlassian does it for you when your system gets into a state where it might be needed

Suggest an answer