How do I import a list of values for a custom field?

I have about 1800 field values I need to add for a new custom field. I do not want to type each one in. Nor do I want to pay for a plug in.

I also do not want to import my issues with the values, as they are in another project currently and I want to move them.

I have tried moving a few sample issues in bulk, but I can't get it to do what I need. I need the existing component mapped to the original component (custom field) in the new project, and I need to assign a new component to the group of issues. The move only worked correctly when the original issue already had the new component, and the original component field in the new project already had the value entered.

2 answers

You could import about 1800 dummy issues all containing a different value for that field (import via csv). During import the values will be added to your costum field. After import delete those dummy issues.

0 votes
Joe Pitt Community Champion May 01, 2016

Keep in mind, when you delete them the numbers won't be reused so you want to make note somewhere of them when someone asks what happened to the missing issues.

Could be imported into a dummy project - so you circumvene that issue.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,760 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot