How do I configure an error message when JIRA Suite Utilities Field Required Validator blocks a transition?

Jonathan Mendelson September 29, 2014

I've successfully added the validator and the transition is blocked when I check to see that four custom fields are not yet set (good).  But the transition is blocked without any message to the user, so it is rather non-intuitive.  Is there any way to say that these required fields were blank?  

I am on an OnDemand instance, not sure if I need a 2nd plugin or not.  Please advise.

5 answers

0 votes
Jonathan Mendelson March 27, 2016

Sorry, no, we decided to avoid this scenario and thus never found a solution.

0 votes
Nicola Barton March 24, 2016

Hi @Jonathan Mendelson - did you find a way to fix this? I'm facing the same situation. I need the Original Estimate field to be greater than 0 before a transition can be made. I'd like an error message to show there's a problem if someone tries to drag and drops the ticket to the next stage.

0 votes
Dobroslawa Wierzbicka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2014

I've seen the exact same behaviour, with a Field Required validator set for the Comment field. The transition won't be performed and the dialog stays open, but there's no error indicating that a comment is required. Quite puzzling for the users.

0 votes
Jonathan Mendelson September 29, 2014

Thanks for your help. I am definitely using a validator, hadn't considered using a condition. I may have seen elsewhere that custom fields may not show error text unless I put some sort of Javascript into the description field when I create the custom field. I'd be grateful for some help in figuring out what JS is needed. Alternatively, it would be super if the validator itself could allow me to suggest error text, but that doesn't seem possible.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2014

Hi Jonathan, Are you using a condition or a validator? Conditions do not display the workflow button until the custom fields have value. Validators display an error message saying the field is required.

Suggest an answer