How do I clear/de-select a date in custom date field?

Rob February 11, 2019

In old JIRA on the cloud, when I would edit a date I had the ability to wipe out the selected value, click on the check mark and the field would be reset back to NULL/EMPTY.

How do I do this in NEW JIRA?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2019

Hello Rob,

Thank you for getting in touch with Atlassian Community!
I've tested here and I was able to remove the date by clicking and pressing delete on the keyboard.

Screen Recording 2019-02-11 at 05.00 PM.gif

Please, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Angélica

Naomi C July 16, 2019

Which Browser were you using when you did this? It did not work for me.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 23, 2019

Hi Naomi,

I was using Google Chrome. 

Regards,
Angélica

Büro Feiermanufaktur August 19, 2019

Hey @Angélica Luz, unfortunately this seems not to work with the new UI. Neither using BACKSPACE nor DELETE does clear the field. Please can you revisit this issue?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
August 20, 2019

Hi Büro,

I tested today using Chrome and the only difference is that I had to press delete/backspace/return (it will depend on the keyboard) and then click out of the field, the same as Brandon mentioned here on this thread. 

Regards,
Angélica

Like Liza Furr likes this
Nathan Given August 27, 2019

This isn't working , now what? @Angélica Luz 

Update: Bug opened: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-72856

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
August 28, 2019

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for sharing the bug.
I talked to the support engineer that helped you on the ticket and we tested again, but it didn't work, so something changed since the last time I tested that was 8 days ago.

Regards,
Angélica

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2019

I am in Windows 10 on Google Chrome, new view I cannot delete a date without switching to the old view. The solution above does not work for me. I have attempted multiple times. 

Peter Bellmann September 28, 2019

We´re using Chrome, and no button (delete/backspace/return) works. Please solve the problem in the new Version.

Nathan Given December 19, 2019

I tried this yesterday and it was fixed for me in my Jira Cloud instance

Eric Brahmann May 13, 2022

There is no post since three years, but within the new ui on Windows 10 (Edge) i had problems setting a custom Date field back to null.

The tips above did not work for me.

What currently works for me:

select the date field and click on the small x right to the date and click somewhere elseJira - set custom Date field back to null.png

Addendum: If I do get an error at first, I just refresh the browser and do it again. Then it works

1 vote
brandon.persson July 31, 2019

I am able to remove the date by pressing my backspace key (Not delete) and then clicking out of the date field,

Kathy Hart
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2019

This apparently worked, but I couldn't see that it had worked until I clicked away. The fact that you still see the date in the field after you hit backspace makes you think it didn't work. 

Karl Werner December 19, 2019

Clicking backspace will get it cleared, but then it can't save the field.  Still broken!

Like Gary Pezza likes this

Suggest an answer